VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi i'm new to the forum. I'm currently using DVD Fab to convert my dvds to avi at the moment.
    Right now it takes approximately 42 mins to convert a full dvd to avi , e.g. 165 mins of DVD video ( 4 episodes , each 42 mins ) to avi giving me about 500 megs per episode from a TV boxset
    My question is, is there any other software out there that could do the job faster giving me the same video quality as DVD Fab. I have an awful lot of boxsets to convert to avi. I don't want to do straight rips otherwise i'll end up with 44 gigs of space used for a box set , using DVD Fab reduces this to about 14 gigs per boxset which is good for me and teh video quality is fine.

so does anyone have any tips, know of a better program or know of a way to convert dvds to avi faster??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The speed of conversion is based on your CPU speed, the format (codec) you are converting to, and the encoder settings. The CPU speed makes the biggest difference most times. Divx may be a bit faster than Xvid. Or if you want to reduce the quality settings, most any codec will work faster.

BTW, the name 'AVI' is the name of the container, not the codec or format and doesn't tell you anything about what format or codec is inside. Use the codec name if you want to provide more information.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGK using Xvid/Divx is pretty quick. Frankly never liked DVDFab's output, as it never seemed to be able to deinterlace and resize interlaced material correctly. I don't know that you will get a lot of improvement over the timings you have now though.

The next step down is to try some of the more dubious software that may shave a few minutes off here and there, but will do so at the expense of image quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your computer details says Quad Core. Find an encoder that uses multi-cores and it should speed up. I'm on a single Athlon, so you might have to search around a bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well FairUse Wizard does use the multicore feature to a point and it does work better than DVDFab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    avi.Net...try it with xvid on a multicore system....on a quadcore i didnt notice any difference between xvid and divx....
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote