VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Am trying to rip an unencrypted DVD of a band documentary. Am getting what looks like horizontal scan lines in picture when I play DVD or ISO of DVD in VLC & MPlayer. DVD plays normally (without scan lines) only in Cyberlink PowerDVD. Have tried ripping in Handbrake but getting scan lines. Any idea what is causing this and how to fix? Thanks.

Quote Quote  
  2. You have interlaced video. Use the deinterlacing option in your player(s). For example, in VLC, while playing, right click on the window and select Video -> Deinterlace -> Bob (or one of the others).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you called it! Deinterlace>Linear in VLC removes about 80% of it. But in Mplayer, Deinterlace>Yadif (double framerate) gets about 98% of the way to perfectly clear normal playback. Will work with this in handbrake. Weird, never had anything like this on a retail DVD before. Thanks for super-fast and helpful reply!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MOST retail dvds are progressive scan, not interlaced
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some retail dvd do have interlace because they were done by cheap methods by cheap companies.If you are going to watch the dvd from your tv there is no need to de-interlace.De-interlacing will reduce your picture quality by getting rid of 1/2 the fields.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TooLFooL
    MOST retail dvds are progressive scan, not interlaced
    This is true for movies and recent digitally shot material, but not for a lot of stuff shot on video through the 80's and 90's.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem solved. Used the Decomb method in Handbrake as outlined here - http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DeinterlacingGuide
    Quote Quote