VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can download the excellent BBC HD flv file provided by the iplayer site but I want to watch it on my TV (cannot see the pleasure in watching a tv program on this computer!). As usual the BBC is using a non-standard format which Gspot does not recognise. I have an Emprex ME1 media player that does not play flv files (and neither do a lot of media players for some reason??). However, I do have an Ainol 2000SL MP5 player which outputs to the TV - and plays some flv files! But not this one!!

I suppose the Ainol would be the best way to go. So:

How do I "fix" the flv so that is recognised as a "normal" flv file without spending hours re-encoding? After all, I do have one very nifty player that does, incredibly, play standard flv files (Gspot says it's encoded using Sorenson flv).
    Or is there a better way?

I'm trying to avoid reencoding the entire thing. I just want to watch on my TV not keep the program. Why is life so difficult
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As a Yank, we're not allowed to watch videos via iplayer, so I don't really keep up. I do know that BBC video streaming is DRM protected. The last I heard nobody had found a way to crack it. If you have a streaming media recorder of some type such as Replay Media Catcher, you should be able to record the video to your computer as it streams and then do something with that file.

The BBC doesn't want people to download videos and watch them on playback devices like yours. That's why it's difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, the BBC, our BBC - paid for with our money! - likes to keep contol of our programs. Of course, the situation is as stupid as a BBC spokesperson. I could have just recorded the program and watched it on my TV - Rick Stein Voyage around Asia actually - but I naively thought I could do a catchup via iplayer which I haven't used till now. They do allow you to download the file. Of course i wouldn't be breaking the protection if they had used a more compatible format because my Ainol player would have been a sufficient means of broadcasting to a TV instead of a PC.

We don't want to sell what we download, do we? We just want to watch the damn things!! Anyway, after that rant, there must be a way of correcting the flv file.

You could try using a cgi proxy server and that might allow you to view the programs.
    Quote Quote