VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I installed Mini stream Ripper and now I want to uninstall it. I used the uninstall that comes with the software. That removed the software from the start menu, but the folder with many (all?) files still exists in my Program Folders. I tried to delete ANY of the files (see screenshot) but get Access denied error. I also tried to delete using cmd prompt but also get access is denied error. My question is: How can I completely remove this beast? Why is there such difficulty removing these files? If I click the "ripper.exe"in the program folders, the software still starts and can be used normally. So in fact, the software wasn't uninstalled at all.

Quote Quote  
  2. Use unlocker on the folder first
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can you please explain a little bit more about "unlocker"? How to I access and use this "unlocker"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    log on in Safe Mode and uninstall the program, then delete any remaining files.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello jimdagys;

Do as suggested by Xylob;
    boot into the safe mode and you should be able to then delete each entry.

Stay in safe mode and run search looking for anything associated with that application.
    Besides the program files, you may also find instances of it in documents and settings.

Finally, search the registry for (primarily but not exclusively) .dll and .exe entries associated with that application.

Following all of that, run CCleaner.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A really terrific program for scanning for individual files in the register is Regseeker by Hover (free). It even backs up whatever you delete, and is simple to restore. I been using it for years.
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tried Unlocker and it seems to work. PLEASE ungeek this topic for me. I would like to know:
    1) Why are the files/folders locked in the first place?
    2) In simple terms, how does Unlocker unlock the files?

This certainly wins the GEEK award. I bought (yes bought) Mini-stream Ripper version 2.xxx several years ago. I noticed that they have a new 3.xxx version. So I wanted to un-install the old version and install the new. Couldn't do it. Then I tried installing the new version over the old version. Couldn't do it. (clicking "about" on the software showed I still had the old 2.xxx version installed). Then I used "Unlocker" and deleted the Mini-stream Ripper Program Folder. However, I didn't go to registry to find ".dll and .exe entries associated with that application" because I'm not sure how to do that. Then I installed version 3.xxx of Mini- stream Ripper. Clicking "about" on the software shows I now indeed have version 3.xxx installed. I was able to register the new version with the old username and password.
    I noticed that version 3.xxx seems to make less hard drive noise than version 2.xxx.
    Question: Why is that?
    Quote Quote  
  8. start button=>run=>type regedit

control+f to bring up the search dialog , so you manually search & delete registry entries

you might try the program suggested above instead, since it makes a back up

No idea about hard drive noise, maybe it's fragmented and seeks are long. Try defragging
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They were probably marked as 'protected' in the OS by the installer program. No idea why. I've ran into WMV files that Windows wouldn't delete and I used Unlocker on them. Great program. If the error is that the files are in use, then just stop them and you should be able to remove them.

Any program that locks it's files from deletion would raise suspicions with me. Programs should come with a uninstaller to fully remove all traces, but some programs don't. And a few refuse to be deleted at all. Most of those seem to be similar to what malware does, so I would be cautious about using them.

Just to add, some ripper programs load with the OS and run in the background. That makes them a bit harder to remove as they are running all the time and are difficult to stop. Sometimes just booting to 'Safe Mode' works just to delete/uninstall them.

Less hard drive noise? Could be lots of reasons for that. If you are just ripping a file to the HDD, really shouldn't be much HDD noise, as it would be a straight transfer. Have you defragged your HDDs lately? A fragged HDD would cause more access as the open areas of the disk would be scattered all though the disk and that can cause more drive noise. From the information you have provided, I wouldn't use that ripper program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the Unlocker program but it didn't work when explorer.exe was holding the file so this is what I do.

I've done this a few times with XP instead of rebooting to safe mode.

First, I have a shortcut to the command prompt (dos) on my desktop so I click it to open the cmd box.

2nd, do a ctl+alt+del to bring up the Windows task manager. Select the process tab and find the name "explorer.exe" then right click on it and delete it. Don't close the Task Manager Window.

3rd, go to the cdm (dos) box and locate the file. You need to know the basic commands to change drives and directories, rename or delete files etc but those few are very simple to learn. Find and delete the file(s).

4th, Go back to the Task Manager and click on the menu "File / new task Run" and type "explorer" and click "ok". This restarts the Window's explorer. If the file is gone and everything looks good then close the cmd box and the Task Manager.

Sounds long when written but it takes a few seconds to do this and I've never had a problem removing something.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is actually a proper way to leave a command window running but with Windows Explorer (the desktop manager rather than the internet browser) closed.

In Vista, click the windows button so the start menu appears, and ctrl+shift+RightClick the bare area above the 'on/off' and padlock buttons. You'll get a context menu allowing Exit Explorer - which will make everything disappear except the command window where you're now able to delete things that were locked. Use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to log in again afterwards.

In Windows 2000 and XP, the same is achieved by selecting Start->Shutdown for the shut-down window, then click the Cancel button while holding CTRL+ALT+SHIFT

Easy when you know how - makes it easy to delete the hidden records of all your internet browsing too, hidden away in index.dat files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The files most likely could not be deleted because they were in use, that is why safe mode works, I would not "read into it" too much

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  13. As an experiment, I brought up the Task Manager (ctrl, alt, delete), select "Processes" tab, highlighted "explorer.exe" and clicked
    "end process". The desktop disappeared. Then on Task Manager I clicked File<NewTask(Run)>typed "explorer.exe"<OK
    The desktop reappeared along with about 15 seconds of moderately high CPU usage and hard drive noise.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Explorer IS the desktop. I know it doesn't make sense, but these are NOT my rules, I don't make'em up.

Safe Mode often works for undeletable files, also the old-fashioned Attrib command with the -r -s -h switches usually works. I often use a Linux boot CD or a BartPE boot disk for Virus removal for similar reasons.

A program that can't uninstall itself is a bad sign, not necessarily an evil thing, but you have to ask yourself if they screwed that up, what else might they be doing wrong? Makes me look for alternatives real fast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CTRL+SHIFT+ESC goes direct to taskman, not need to do CTRL+ALT+DEL
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    CTRL+SHIFT+ESC goes direct to taskman, not need to do CTRL+ALT+DEL
    nice tip

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    A program that can't uninstall itself is a bad sign, not necessarily an evil thing, but you have to ask yourself if they screwed that up, what else might they be doing wrong? Makes me look for alternatives real fast.
    A lot of programs require a reboot to complete the uninstall, especially I should think one like this that must be entangled in Windows processes to intercept media streams.

Was that done?

Also, Process Explorer, a freebie from Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) gives more details and options than Task Manager.

Good for shutting down rogue programs; or for those that remain unkillable, you can shut everything else down before using the power button.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    A lot of programs require a reboot to complete the uninstall, especially I should think one like this that must be entangled in Windows processes to intercept media streams.

Was that done?

Also, Process Explorer, a freebie from Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) gives more details and options than Task Manager.

Good for shutting down rogue programs; or for those that remain unkillable, you can shut everything else down before using the power button.
    Another good utility to stop running processes is PC Magazine's "End-it-all"

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote