I have Vista Media Center. I am using a AVerMedia M780 NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner Card (PC.) Have had it set up with both HOTA antenna and DirectV HD box. Just made switch to Time Warner cable (for reason of significant savings in bundle with phone and internet.)
As it's critical I get this to work with Media Center recording before 30 day no penalty cancelation with TW (... and haven't canceled DirectV yet)... I am trying to resolve problems with Media Cnter set up.

1. I AM getting a signal I can watch on Live TV... but when I do set up TV signal... Time Warner Cable is not listed (and in fact all look as if they are satellite but not sure as some are cryptic unfailiar names)... strange since TW has so much of the market here in Los Angeles. SO I cannot set up guide in MC.

2. Can TW HD box work with Media Center? I read many things about QAM but I am not clear: is QAM an alternative way to get cable signals that will work WITHOUT set top box and inclyude HD signals? If that is the case... I am using a set top box and could accept only recording standard signal quality if it would allow simpler set up with TW guide channel line up.

SO DO I NEED A CABLE CARD or should having TW HD cable box work?

Thanks SO MUCH for any help.

Brad

Gateway GM5446E Intel Desktop PC - Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86GHz, 2GB DDR2, 500GB SATA II, DL DVD±RW, NVIDIA GeForce 7650GS, AVerMedia M780 NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner Card, Windows Vista Home Premium