VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I converted my VHS tapes to DVD+R disks using the stand alone Panasonic DMR-EZ485V. When I play the DVD+R discs of the old VHS on my TV set the images are rock-steady. However, when I play them on my computer there is a fine horizontal at the bottom of the image that squiggles.

I tried different players like VLC, PowerDVD, Win MediaPlayer and all of them show the same effect.

I see this on youtube videos too where someone uploaded a video they taped off the tv, converted it to digital and there is the same squiggle effect along the bottom of the screen.

However, when a friend who had a digital tuner in his PC played one of my tapes with a VCR and copied it to his Harddrive...the file plays on the computer without any squiggle at the bottom of the image.

I read somewhere this is what is called 'overscan'?

Are digital tuners installed in your PC going to do better than the standalone players converting VHS?

Since i discarded most of the tapes thinking they'd play fine on my computer as they appear on my TV set is there any way to fix/get rid of this issue where I can work with the VOB files off the DVD+R's and remove the squiggle effect? Maybe some kind of software?? Or am I stuck with them as they are???

Richard
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to be having problems getting into LS's site, so:

Most TV's use overscan that hide the edges of the TV image. Computer monitors don't. Some LCD TV's don't. Captured VHS tapes create a line of noise at the bottom of the screen, usually not seen on TV because it's hidden by the overscan that masks about 5% of the image, but visible on computer monitors. You can crop, or preferably, block it out with black bars, but you would have to re-encode the video.

Or some software players, VLC for one, can trim off some of the bottom lines during playback so you won't have to watch them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's been slow all morning ... seems fine now after the reboot.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote