VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hiya,

I'm ready to get going with ripping my film collection. What is currently the best process for doing so; I'd like DVD and Blu-ray to be in the same video format (what format that is i'm not sure). I've just had success with Gladiator Blu-ray and Jumper DVD using MakeMKV, but not sure this is best.

Also, what is the crack with 'forced' subtitles. By that I mean something like Apocalypto where the whole thing is subtitled or Star Wars where alien characters speak. Do I need to select a subtitle track or are they part of the main film?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding MKV files, I see that MakeMKV doesn't keep DTS MA; it only gets the core DTS track.

This isn't a major problem now as I have plenty of DVDs to rip. But if it's more thana few months before MKVs can handle True HD and DTS MA I may need to look elsewhere for ripping blu-rays.

So does anyone know when this will be 'fixed'?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have gotten into the Blu Ray archiving business of late and I've found that RipBot264 does a great job while keeping it nice and easy. You can read my guide here (shameless self-promotion )

As for subs, I imagine it varies by movie but it's worth noting that between tsMuxer and BDSup2Sub you can get any subtitle track you want in to your .mkv file. As for audio, I use the AC3 Dolby 5.1 audio tracks and those are plenty for me. I've heard eac3to can convert the audio (perhaps into a nice high-quality yet open format like Ogg Vorbis?) but I have not dealt with any of that myself.
    Quote Quote