VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sansui DVD-109Usb player with a usb 1.1 port. I have tried connecting my 3.5" inch external sata drive (formatted to FAT32) to it to watch movies, pics etc. The DVD player picks up the external drive and I can see everything on it. When I try to play a movie example: avi....it just plays for a few seconds and freezes or stops. I am not sure whats going on? It almost as if it runs out of power, but the external drive has its own power source. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. do u have the same issue with flash/ thumb drive?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there. Yes I do. Its plays for about 20 secs and stops or freezes. I also noted on the Flash drive that led power indicator goes off (stops flashing) when this happens.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sansui isn't sold in North America and many of the forum members are from the USA. You may have to contact the manufacturer about this one unless someone who also has one knows about this problem and can offer advice. It may be something that is fixed in a firmware update.

Also there is a sticky here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    that talks about encoding options that can be problematic for DVD player playback. For all we know your files were encoded with those options and that's the real problem. For example, if your Sansui doesn't like GMC and your files all use GMC, that's your problem. What options are supported for AVI playback depends on the chip built into the player and that's not fixable with a firmware update.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dbnite-wp

>>>>I have a Sansui DVD-109Usb player with a usb 1.1 port<<<<

If that statement is correct then thats probably your problem. I would think USB 1.1 transfer speeds would be to slow for watching video. Probably need USB 2.0.

Reelman472
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Reelman472
    dbnite-wp

>>>>I have a Sansui DVD-109Usb player with a usb 1.1 port<<<<

If that statement is correct then thats probably your problem. I would think USB 1.1 transfer speeds would be to slow for watching video. Probably need USB 2.0.

Reelman472
    I watched tons of movies on my philips 5982(USB 1.1) with no issues at all using a thumb drive.external HD doesn't work

I think jman98 is right about coding issue
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, thanks to all for replies...

I am bit doubtful about the encoding issue as my dvd player, plays avi files (xvid/divx) perfectly with DVD/CD's and also through an SD card or micro SD + adaptor (forgot to mention the dvd player has one).

No glitches or freezing. As per Reelman472 and MJA it could be the USB 1.1 port that causes the problem.

I have contacted our Sansui local agents and waiting for response now.

Im still quite amazed as to how the SD card works so fine but not the flash/external drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sansui has come back to me....saying that it seems that the DVD has developed a 'fault'...duh!!!

They requested that i take it back to the retailer for repairs...i think not!!

the last DVD player i had was sent back and it took 3months!

i am looking at buying a new dvd player as the cost of repairs will be close to buying a new one.

Any options? I know the Phillips is the best....there also LG, Samsung brand here in SA.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've had good luck with Philips, but others have not. I really don't know anything about LG players. Yes, you are quite right that repair costs are usually as much or more than buying a new player. DVD players are meant to be consumable items now and when you have problems, you just throw them away and buy a new one.

Should you care about this, these days very very few Samsung DVD players can be made region free. We get posts all the time asking about what can be done to make various Samsung players become region free and usually there is no way to do it. In the past Philips players were always among the easiest to be made region free, but based on some posts it seems that even Philips is making that harder to do.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed jma98...going to look out for a Phillips. Preferablly one with a USB 2.0 port.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by dbnite-wp
    Agreed jma98...going to look out for a Phillips. Preferablly one with a USB 2.0 port.
    The Philips 5990 player got a USB 2.0,and the 5982 is a USB 1.1 .
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi thanks. I am going to check what's avaible here is South africa. I will like to get the USB 2.0 version. I am a bit scepticle about the USB 1.1 with an external drive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dbnite-wp
    Hi thanks. I am going to check what's avaible here is South africa. I will like to get the USB 2.0 version. I am a bit scepticle about the USB 1.1 with an external drive.

if you can't find the philips.check the Pioneer DV-420V-K

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DV-420V-K-Multi-Format-Upscaling-Player/dp/B00264GMOG/re...2996381&sr=8-1

I'm not sure how much where u live.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    brilliant product!

but seems to be more expensive than the Phillips. I am still checking out the available options.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys....SORTED!!! finally

Got myself a product called the 'TV card reader' from Measy. Its basically an interface between the external HDD and TV.
    Its plays everything that I require...AVI (divx up to 6.x/Xvid) mpeg 1/2/3/4, vob, dat etc.

It very small and has a remote..with some great features. best of all its cheap.
    check out the website at http://www.measy.com.cn/productShow.asp?id=375

it will even support a 2.5inch drive with external power.

thanks for help!
    Quote Quote