VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Yes, another one of these threads.... MKV failing to do its job....

Any tips? Using MKVmerge GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use eac3to to convert ogg to ac3 and mux the mkv with the ac3.As long as your video is avc/mpeg this will work.If you are trying to use mkvmerge with xvid or similar then it needs to be re-encoded to avc before you can mux with mkvmerge.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. tnx, ill give that a shot.... Weird how MKV fails mux file formats that are a decade old (wav) or newer ones (OGG).

Problem right now that, is one of the programs I downloaded to convert it into ac3 before ended up screwing my computer. Now I cant play any mkv unless its in VLC or MPCHC.

O well, ill be formating soon anyway...
    Quote Quote  
  4. What's the problem with mkvmerge? What happens when you drag the vorbis file to the MKVmergeGUI window?

Originally Posted by johns0
    As long as your video is avc/mpeg this will work.If you are trying to use mkvmerge with xvid or similar then it needs to be re-encoded to avc before you can mux with mkvmerge.
    Why? Is there something wrong with XviD in MKV?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by creamyhorror
    What's the problem with mkvmerge? What happens when you drag the vorbis file to the MKVmergeGUI window?

Originally Posted by johns0
    As long as your video is avc/mpeg this will work.If you are trying to use mkvmerge with xvid or similar then it needs to be re-encoded to avc before you can mux with mkvmerge.
    Why? Is there something wrong with XviD in MKV?
    The op was having problems muxing the avi with ogg but i just thought of an easier way is to load the avi into virtualdub and save the avi with the ac3 leaving the ogg out and mux to mkv with mkvmerge,if mkvmerge still doesnt want to accept the avi with ac3 then re-encoding is needed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. its not an AVI, its an MKV with a audio track.... I simple want to add another.

Havent tested that program yet, turns out MPC cant even run AVI...

AVI = MPC crashes
    MKV = Never starts.

This stuff makes me SICK TO MY STOMACH.

If I 1 trillion dollars in the bank (richer then bill gates) and I downloaded a program, installed it, then went to run it and the program said "only converts 80%, need to pay 5$ for the full version". I would not give them the 5$ out of principle.

It REALLY pisses me off that I wasted like 1 hour on this yesterday, and what did I get out of it? Lots of stupid programs who trick me into download it then wanting money.... And after all that? Well, I cant play damn video files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I was posting the response to creamyhorror as to what you should if your file was avi and what you should with the avi,since we know its already mkv do you have the codecs installed such as haali media splitter and ffdshow?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by SignedupGuest
    Havent tested that program yet, turns out MPC cant even run AVI...

AVI = MPC crashes
    MKV = Never starts.
    Sounds like that program you downloaded screwed your system. What was it called, so we know what to avoid?

Any one or more of your MPC-HC, splitters, or codecs are screwed. Uninstall that program you downloaded. Reinstall MPC-HC and Haali's Media Splitter. If that doesn't work, uninstall whatever codec pack you use (if you use any - if not, uninstall the individual codecs themselves), then install the codecs you need to use.

MKVmergeGUI normally has no trouble importing OGG audio, so it's probably something wrong with your system.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I ended up formatting 2-3 days ago. Not sure what program caused the issue, im worried if I mention them all they would simple get more hits
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh, okay then.
    Quote Quote