VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying to copy my pics to my competer and my computer keeps freezing? My friend was able to copy them to her computer but my freezes? any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. How frozen? Does the mouse still move? If you wait a long time (several minutes, hours) does the transfer appear to continue? If you copy files from one place on your hard drive to another does it lock up doing that too?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Also how are you trying to copy them to your pc ?

USB thumb drive, from a cdr, dvdr, flashcard from a camera, USB cable from a camera, ect. ect. ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the mouse freezes. I'm trying to copy pic from my memory card from my camera and inserting it into the drive that is for memory cards. I have a new camera and this is the first rme I'm using this card drive on my laptop. Previously I used a USB port which connected to a external memery card drive!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is it possible the card is sdhc and your computer reader is an older sd only one?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. As usual, more information would be helpful to diagnose the problem.

Does your PC detect the card? Can you see files on the card? Can you expand a directory on the card?

Describe COMPLETELY, in DETAIL, EXACTLY what actions you take, and PRECISELY at what point the PC freezes.

Workaround would be to connect the camera with a USB cable and transfer the files that way. Might be useful to determine whether the camera itself can browse files on the card.

At this point, problem could be anything from card inserted incorrectly, to bad reader, to totally unrelated virus or other hardware problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I put the card in the drive and then the computer asks me how I want to view I open the file using windows explorer. I can see the pic but when I try to drag the photos to the file on the hard drive the computer sometimes copies one or two but lately the mouse just stops moving?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Saying the mouse freezes doesnt give any real info,when the mouse stops moving does windows itself freeze in that you gotta do a reboot,can you still use your keyboard etc...
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to reboot!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you connect your camera to an usb port and copy the files that way,may be a problem with the card reader as suggested by aedipuss.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Most likely one or more corrupted files, or a bad section on the card.

The additional information verifies that the card is inserted correctly, and that both it and the reader are at least basically functional.

Turning off the thumbnail viewer will most likely be helpful.

Pick files one at a time, and move them, as oppossed to copy. Repeat unitl lockup occurs. Reboot, try a different file. Continue until desired files are copied, and problem ones isolated.

Copying from the cameras card reader will help isolate the problem, if it repeats, get what you can and get a new card. If all copy OK, then it's likely an issue with your reader.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have change from tumbnail to tiles. I had started to move them one at a time but after I moved a pic my computer seem to freezed and I have to reboot. sometimes even when I am not coping pic my computer freezes? I would agree that my files on the card could be corrupted but why when I used a friends computer I had no problem. Could I not have enough ram to deal with such large files the my new camera is 10megapixals?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since your computer freezes at random times even when not using the card reader indicates that its not a card reader problem but something else such as virus,cpu heating up(dust building up in the case),bad memory,motherboard defective,power supply going bad,windows systems files getting corrupt/conflicting with other files etc...

You gotta check where the freeze is coming from and what i listed is the most common trouble points.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I agree. This is most likely a hardware problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would start by looking in the Event Logs (right-click My Computer and then click Manage, expand the Event Logs branch, then click on System and have a look, then Applications). My guess ? Your main HDD is going bad and on it's way out.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    once im in the events log. whate am I looking for? How do I figure out what is going bad?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Why not just return to what you used that worked, a usb card reader?

You might have a usb conflict.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    once im in the events log. whate am I looking for? How do I figure out what is going bad?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by bits27
    once im in the events log. whate am I looking for?
    Look for Errors in the Type field. Double click on them to get details, in both the System and Application logs.

Originally Posted by bits27
    How do I figure out what is going bad?
    It depends on what the errors are.

With the lockup type errors you're experiencing I don't think you'll find anything useful. I would start by clearing out the event logs then initiate a new transfer of your pictures. After the computer crashes check the event logs.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Filling out your computer specs accurately and completely would be step one. Your question about having enough RAM is impossible to answer since you have failed to specidy how much you have now. My crystal ball does not work at such long range.

Specify a file size for a failed copy file. Specify the amount of time you have waited.

Clarify that your computer freezes when NOT copying a file! As in, it does in fact freeze with similar symptoms with no card in the reader and no file copy operation attempted, indicating that the file copy "problem" has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE FREEZING!

As far as the event log, you may notice that all events have a time value. Assuming you have a clock nearby and are able to interpret the readings, look for an entry that ocurred near the time of the computer freezing.

As for you figuring out what went wrong, it is quite clear that is not likely to happen. Copy and paste several entries near the time of lock-up and post them here.

Also, post any error messages, recent changes to the pc, including new hardware or software installed or updated, do a thorough virus scan with at least two seperate programs, run a drive error-check and a defrag. Note and post any errors or unusual events. In DETAIL.

Or just give up and buy an abacus and a hand-held game of Pong.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    sometimes even when I am not coping pic my computer freezes?

I have been trying to copy my pics to my competer and my computer keeps freezing? My friend was able to copy them to her computer but my freezes? any suggestions?
    So the fact you are copying photo's when your PC freezes and that your friends PC does not freeze when doing the same thing has no relevance to you problem.....

Why am i even surprised anymore....
    Quote Quote