VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ladies/gentlemen,

I am currently looking for a solution to convert analog tapes (from CCTV) to digital format. I saw that there are capture cards or simply USB devices that enables to have the analog tape video in passed into the device and have the output in PC. However, this method would require the same amount of conversion time as the length of the tape (e.g., 1 hour of tape would require at least 1 hour of conversion time).

I would like to ask if there is any way that can have the above conversion done faster. For example, is there a device that can play the tape faster but yet retain the frames that could be read and captured? (Please discard the question of the cost of such device in the meantime, I want to see if this is feasible.)

One more question, if the situation is a bit differnt that the tape is in digital format (e.g., DV), does capturing of a 1-hour DV tape still requires 1-hour of conversion time?

Thanks a lot all. (I am a total newbie to video. Please forgive my ignorant.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you have a few thousand spare bucks to spend on optical machines and studio gear, it still takes 1-hr to record a 1-hr video onto a PC or DVD recorder. Or you can find many digital conversion services, but they ain't cheap.

Start here:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/index-record-capture.htm
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 10:44.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is fine, as the solution that I am looking for is to be used in corporate and thus price is not really a concern. Also, outsourcing the conversion is not an option too due to confidential issues.

May I know more about "optical machines and studio gear" that you mentioned? I tried to look at the link that you provided but I cannot find anything related to "optical" and "studio gear".

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote