VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a bunch of videos I'm trying to (eventually) convert to DVD. According to Gspot the resolution is 512x384 (1:1 PAR; 4:3 DAR).

Starting with that source, what sort of quality loss can I expect if I encode to Half D1 as opposed to Full D1?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You will lose about 30 percent of the horizontal resolution with half D1. I'd go with full D1 unless you plan to put a lot on each disc. Of course, if the video comes from a low resolution source like VHS it doesn't really have 512 lines of resolution, even if it has 512 pixels across the width.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would also consider a large-ish overscan border to reduce the amount of rescaling you have to do to the image.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not really sure what an overscan border is? Could you explain?

The videos are screen recordings (a video tutorial if you will) and vary a bit in quality. Though none of them are DVD quality.

Ultimately, I need to still be able to read the on screen text.
    Quote Quote  
  5. He's talking about upscaling the video less and adding black borders around the edges so that when you play it back it's not as big and fuzzy on the TV screen. For example, you could enlarge the image to 564x384 then add black borders to fill out a 720x480 frame then make a 4:3 DVD. I don't think you'll want to do that with text rich material though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most (pretty much all) televisions have an area of the screen that is not visible to the viewer. This is called the overscan area. Every TV show and the majority of DVDs have video in the area that you don't see, and don't miss.

Unless you have a lot of poorly placed text on the screen. Fan-subbed anime is a good example of video that has text poorly sized and positioned on screen. If you enlarge the video to fill the frame, the start and end of the text, and any text very high or low on the screen, often disappears from view. The way around this is not enlarge it to fill the entire frame, but to fill say, 90%. A black border is added to make the frame DVD compliant in size. If you enlarge to 85% and make the borders a bit bigger, you will still get a bigger image, but you won't have to enlarge it beyond so far that the image quality degrades too much.

Most one-click converters - ConvertXtoDVD, DVD Flick etc have an overscan option, so it is a simple matter of ticking a box to invoke it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd set it to 93% image size (7% black matte bordered) and go 352x480 -- the source BEFORE it was made into an XVID wasn't much different anyway.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    the source BEFORE it was made into an XVID wasn't much different anyway.
    How do you know this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's an XVID download. The source is almost always television.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    the source BEFORE it was made into an XVID wasn't much different anyway.
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    It's an XVID download. The source is almost always television.
    Nah, and even if the source was TV, these days it's more than likely from an HD TV source. But in my experience a very healthy percentage of the XviDs out there come from DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I know I see lots of "screen recording... tutorials" on broadcast TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD from 4:3? I don't think so. If it had been 16:9, sure.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Are you saying you haven't seen 4:3 HD before? Yes, they'll have pillar bars added to the sides making a 1920x1080 broadcast effectively 1440x1080. But it won't necessarily be upscaled standard def. I think I can tell the difference between the 2. Are you saying there are no 4:3 HD TV shows? I'm not sure I believe that.

Anyway, my other point still stands - there are a ton of XviDs made from DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It's obvious the OPs videos do not come from TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Obvious, how?
    No, there's not any 4:3 HD content that I'm aware of.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might try ConvertxtoDVD and see what it does with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I would use Deemon's Video enhancer to make it 720x480 anamorphic and then convert it to mpeg 2.
    Adding a slight dose of Neat video would probably eliminate blocks / digital noise. The virtualdub version works with video enhancer and it is really - really faster. You just have to set it up on virtualdub before you load it to video enhancer, so to keep the settings to it's buffer.
    The preset "filter and sharpen" would work excellent I believe.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. HD debate aside, these are not from tv. They're recorded off a computer screen using a screen recording program (I'm not sure which one). I also think they were recorded as Avis, which is the format they're in now.

Edit: I was also hoping for something that isn't a one-click solution as I have other things I need to do to the video as well. In particular, the videos were recorded at 25 FPS, and I've got to convert them to 29.97 FPS.

Right now, the encoder I have is TMPGEnc 2.5. Something that uses that would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  19. TMPGEnc 2.5's resizer isn't great but it's OK. If I remember correctly it uses a simple bilinear function. You can use a sharper resizer in AviSynth or VirtualDub but that will require a bit more bitrate. Unless you need to put more than ~two hours on a DVD I'd just use TMPGEnc at full D1. But why don't you just do a few short tests yourself and see how the results look.

TMPGEnc has the ability to add overscan borders. In the MPEG Settings dialog, on the Advanced tab, set Video Arrange Method to Center (Custom Size). Set the size to whatever you want. For example, 672x448. The program will fill out the rest of the frame with black borders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Resize to 720 x 480 (total resolution) with the image at whatever size you decide is suitable and clear. Encode to mpeg-2 at 25 fps and output as elementary streams. Use DGPulldown to add suitable pulldown flags to go from 25 to 29.970 fps (use the Custom option). Author as a DVD and you will have correct playback
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote