VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking of buying the Samsung T220 HD TV. Specs for it can be found here:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4179157&Sku=S203-2267%20CA

I noticed that it only has a component video input. My question is if it's possible to connect a VCR to this TV that has only [s:afac0e10e3]component[/s:afac0e10e3] composite video output (ie. yellow video plug + red/white audio plugs). If it's not, then I guess I have to think about getting a different TV.
    Quote Quote  
  2. [EDIT] Misread your post, corrected my reply.

I don't see a composite input on that set, nor S-Video for that matter. Look carefully at your VCR, does it have an S-Video output? Most HDTVs these days have at least an S-Video port, maybe a composite as well, and they're basically equivalent, which is to say 480i resolution. Both my HDTVs have one of each, in addition to HDMI ports and component input.

But maybe it's time to let go of the VCR and enter this century? :P Just kidding.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you're confusing composite with component.
    Yeah, I meant composite in my question. Had it right in the subject title.

My VCR has the composite video output and the S-video but neither helps me with that Samsung TV. I guess that means the search continues for another model.

But maybe it's time to let go of the VCR and enter this century?
    Yeah, I wish I could but my LG DVD recorder won't let me tape anything off my digital cable box. I keep getting a message saying that blocking technology will not allow me to record this programme even though it's basic cable stuff like Discovery Channel, Food Network, TSN, NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, etc.

I don't really want to drop $499.99 for the PVR my cable company wants to sell me or spend $24.95 for a monthly rental.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ha, you quoted me before I got my edits in. I was the one confused.

A couple months ago I got a Hauppage HD-PVR for $200 bucks at NewEgg, plus a $30 rebate. It takes component output from the HD cablebox and passes through the signal to component outs to the TV. A USB cable connects it to the HTPC/computer. It does hardware encoded h264. Of course, you need a computer with enough oomph to play back 720p/1080p videos.

I sure as hell wouldn't pay a rental fee for a PVR or buy one for $500. I'm happy with my Hauppage, and it comes with TM Extreme, quite a good capture module/ digital theater software suite. I don't know of any better solution at the moment.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you really want composite, then that TV is apparently not the one. You may find a few LCDs with composite input if you want to watch a VCR video. But most TVs now have component, DVI, HDMI and maybe S-Video or VGA inputs for the newer players. I would shop around a bit more.

But if the set you select does have composite, I would make sure it has the other inputs. If you have a DVD set top player, it likely does have component, S-Video, HDMI or DVI, all much better quality than composite. And composite may not look too good on a HD LCD TV. I would try a composite video on one before I would buy it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about the coaxial (cable TV) output of your VCR? That should work, tune in channel 3 or 4 on the TV. Technically not as good as composite, although I doubt the negligible difference will be noticeable on SD sources.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adcvideo
    What about the coaxial (cable TV) output of your VCR? That should work, tune in channel 3 or 4 on the TV. Technically not as good as composite, although I doubt the negligible difference will be noticeable on SD sources.
    People used co-ax for vhs for years before composite connectors came in style and are now going out.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the repsonses people. Much appreciated.

I'm going to go with this TV from Sharp:

http://www.sharp.ca/products/index.asp?cat=78&id=815

It's on sale for $269.99 at Sears this week.

I thought of going the co-ax route but my digital cable box manual says do not connect box through any other source, connect it directly to the TV.

Anyway, the bottom line is that Rogers sucks and that there should be more cable TV competition in Canada. :P
    Quote Quote