VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a video and I think I need to deinterlace it with some option selected that I don't know about. The problem is when the character walks it looks like a blur. The video is as follows:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ty2mzyw2ygz

Eventually I got rid of the blur, but the video was all grainy. I selected smart deinterlace and I selected options Frame-and-Field Differencing, Edge-directed interpolate, Compare color channels, motion map denoising, motion threshold - 15, scene change threshold - 100, Field swap before phase shift, Phase shift, and Field swap after phase shift. I tried to mix and match but with no results. Here is the file I ended up with, as I said earlier, the walking is fine but the video is grainy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?znybdnyzkyz

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why are you using Field Swap? That is a workaround for capture devices that save the scan lines in the wrong order. It has screwed up your video. Field swap swaps pairs of scan lines. So if scanlines are numbered (from the top):

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7...

after Field Swap they will be ordered:

1, 0, 3, 2, 5, 4, 7, 6...

This is what's causing the jagged edges you see. (You can also view this as shifting the top field down one scanline and the bottom field up on scanline.)

Your first video isn't interlaced. It appears to have had a severe temporal smoother applied. There is no way to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick response. Can the original .TS file from my capture card be fixed?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by spiegel32
    Thanks for the quick response. Can the original .TS file from my capture card be fixed?
    Maybe. Post a short sample.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped the same clip from the original .TS file, the only thing that has been done to it is it was cut with h264 cutter or whatever it's called.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zaownznmdki

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Unfortunately, the temporal blurring is already present in the TS file. If you run a simple Bob Doubler (displays one field at a time) you'll see that every field looks like a triple or quadruple exposure.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any reason why that happens, it is recorded straight from my PS2 with component connectors. Any idea how to prevent this? Maybe a new program, I am using Arcsoft TotalMedia Extreme as that came with my Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212. Or should I post this in the Capturing section?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it seems to be one of the weird avchd types that is 60i internally and the file header says 30i and plays at 30i.

this was the best i could come up with. the weirdness around the moving character appears to be part of how the game renders movement.

ts_cut_rendered_in%20vegas_pro9.mp4
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hurray for programs working together

thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  10. A simple discard field and resize in VirtualDub looks about the same as the Vegas clip.
    Quote Quote