VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using ffmpegx to burn a dvd with subtitles (.avi and .srt) and I followed the steps on the site and came up with a disk image that plays on VLC player, which I then burned to a dvd that plays in VLC, DVD player (on my laptop), but not my home dvd. On my home dvd it jumps like a VHS when the tracking is off. What am I doing wrong? Could it be the region?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your post is somewhat muddled about what it is that you did. Did you make a DVD-compliant disc starting from an .avi source movie? Or did you burn an avi onto a DVD blank directly, and are attempting to watch it on a DVD-player that happens to support it?

If the former, you may have a simple problem with poor-quality media. If you aren't using Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden, you are rolling the dice. The "bargain-pak" media spindles at Discs R Us are usually not worth the savings.

If the latter, then make sure that that the avi has been encoded with parameters that your player supports. Check bitrate, resolution, etc. and verify that your player will accept those. If not, you have to re-encode to spec.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I followed the direction's here. Converted the file to dvdmpeg2enc and got a dvd file with a Video_TS and Audio_TS folder inside. I converted that to a disc image and burned it with disk utility. I've gone through this process with other .avi files and it's come out great. I've never done it with the .srt file though. I was using the same kind of dvd and the dvd works in my computer's dvd player just not my home dvd player. (My home dvd also still plays everything else fine.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry I meant to include the link to the instructions http://www.ffmpegx.com/dvd_sub.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ellemacamelle
    On my home dvd it jumps like a VHS when the tracking is off.
    It could be a PAL/NTSC issue. Is your source file and target DVD 25 fps (PAL)? Perhaps your multi-standard DVD player outputs a PAL signal to your tv (as the disc may be PAL encoded), which the tv can't sync properly, as it expects an NTSC signal. This wouldn't be noticeable on a software player/computer monitor.

Or perhaps the disc is 23.976 fps (NTSC FILM) with pulldown omitted. This can cause weird visuals. But it would show its effect on Apple's software DVD Player (in the form of 'stuttering').
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that Case may be correct in the first paragraph as to what is going on. Open your original AVI file with GSpot and see if the frame rate is 25 fps. If it is, check the video output setting of your DVD player and see if you can change it to NTSC. It may be on something called either ANY or MULTI. If you can make this change, it should fix a problem with 25 fps video. If your DVD player does not have any setting to change the video output to NTSC, then your DVD cannot convert PAL video to NTSC and you will either have to buy a DVD player that can do this or (much much worse option) convert your video from PAL to NTSC. We have guides on how to do that here if you look.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'll try that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. im havin the exact same problem and thought it was a problem with region format (pal/ntsc) but couldnt figure out how to solve this.... did you get lucky fixing this issue ????? or is it just the dvd player?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First off, the OP has not been back since he posted that last comment, almost a YEAR ago....
    so i doubt you will get an answer from him.

Second, Region has nothing to do with PAL/NTSC which is the format of a video.

Third, you would need to give much more information.
    If you actually read the thread, you will see what you need to check and what info to give for better help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. First of all, my apologies for my bad english. Ive english as a second language so ill try to make myself as clear as possible. Ive already browsed through one third of all the forum and still have found no answer; i know that this thread is old but i was hoping someone could come up with an answer.

I followed exactly the guide to author a dvd with selectable subtitles. Before burning and wasting blank dvds, i wanted to have a good preview of the encoding.

FOR PREVIEWING:

I tried to encode using mpeg2enc with no success (actually every time i start the program it asks me for the file location) so im used ffmepg instead. I tried encoding using quicktime to add the black bars and came out horrible; so this second my decision to use ffmpeg every time. I used different audio encodings and sometimes i didnt get sound at all, sometimes i got the high pitch annoying sound. Im a dj so i know something about sound rates: I tried using 320 cbr @ 44100 HZ and this solved the audio problem.

As i mentioned before, all this test/fail procedure was to get a good preview using Apple DVD Player. So after several encodings a came up with my MOVIE.DVD folder with everything in it. I tested it successfully and Preview worked as a charm even with selectable subtitles.

DVD CREATION:

Obviously having already my movie.dvd folder created with its AUDIO TS and VIDEO TS folders in it, i proceeded to next step. I tried burning procedure using Burn and Toast and the outcome was the same: Stuttered video and NO sound.

It seems that it has to do with my home player but i still believe there must me something wrong with the encoding or something else (as the dvd region). May be its the frame rate but dont have a windows computer to see with gspot what the frame rate is. Its also weird not to get any sound at all in burned dvd.

Well sorry again for asking the same all things as others.

Greetings!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ziordiko View Post
    I tried to encode using mpeg2enc with no success (actually every time i start the program it asks me for the file location)
    Try re-installing the mpeg2enc binary using this copy. Unzip (if your browser doesn't do so for you) before using the Locate button to point the installer to the downloaded mpeg2enc.

Originally Posted by ziordiko
    I used different audio encodings and sometimes i didnt get sound at all, sometimes i got the high pitch annoying sound. Im a dj so i know something about sound rates: I tried using 320 cbr @ 44100 HZ and this solved the audio problem.
    The target audio should be AC3 ("Dolby Digital") at 48000 Hz. The sampling rate of 48000 Hz is mandatory for DVD-Video.

All this test/fail procedure was to get a good preview using Apple DVD Player.
    Good test. If Apple DVD Player shows errors/artifacts, then there probably something wrong in the DVD files.

I tried burning procedure using Burn and Toast and the outcome was the same: Stuttered video and NO sound.
    One way stuttering video may occur, is if the video is 23.976 fps (NTSC FILM) and the DVD video doesn't have a so-called 3:2 pulldown flag. That setting is a simple checkbox with mpeg2enc. But, the stuttering video would also show in Apple DVD Player, if this were the cause of it.

there must me something wrong with the encoding or something else (as the dvd region).
    The dvdauthor part of ffmpegX creates DVD folders which are All Regions playable.

May be its the frame rate but dont have a windows computer to see with gspot what the frame rate is.
    There have been some efforts to provide Mac users with similar media file details: MediaInfo Mac and VideoSpec.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by ziordiko View Post
    I tried to encode using mpeg2enc with no success (actually every time i start the program it asks me for the file location)
    Try re-installing the mpeg2enc binary using this copy. Unzip (if your browser doesn't do so for you) before using the Locate button to point the installer to the downloaded mpeg2enc.

I used different audio encodings and sometimes i didnt get sound at all, sometimes i got the high pitch annoying sound. Im a dj so i know something about sound rates: I tried using 320 cbr @ 44100 HZ and this solved the audio problem.
    The target audio should be AC3 ("Dolby Digital") at 48000 Hz. The sampling rate of 48000 Hz is mandatory for DVD-Video.

All this test/fail procedure was to get a good preview using Apple DVD Player.
    Good test. If Apple DVD Player shows errors/artifacts, then there probably something wrong in the DVD files.

I tried burning procedure using Burn and Toast and the outcome was the same: Stuttered video and NO sound.
    One way stuttering video may occur, is if the video is 23.976 fps (NTSC FILM) and the DVD video doesn't have a so-called 3:2 pulldown flag. That setting is a simple checkbox with mpeg2enc. But, the stuttering video would also show in Apple DVD Player, if this were the cause of it.

there must me something wrong with the encoding or something else (as the dvd region).
    The dvdauthor part of ffmpegX creates DVD folders which are All Regions playable.

May be its the frame rate but dont have a windows computer to see with gspot what the frame rate is.
    There have been some efforts to provide Mac users with similar media file details: MediaInfo Mac and VideoSpec.

GREAT. KNOW IM MORE AWARE OF WHAT MAY BE HAPPENING. ILL POST AFTER TRYING ALL THIS. THANk you for your time!!
    Quote Quote