VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have being using vob2mpg and it seems to be working great. I will be recommending it to some other people with DVD camcorders. Can I make this work with VRO files? Is there a workaround?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest a different tool that can read VRO files directly, MPEG Streamclip. It can convert VRO files to headerless MPEG-2 files, though it may not always work for files residing on a DVD-RAM disc, as is common for video cameras. DVD-RAM discs like HDDs allow file fragmentation and can compensate for bad sectors on the disc. The problem is that most software that can read files from a DVD expect VRO files to be contiguous, not broken up. I have had some recordings on RAM disks that play perfectly but can't be copied to my HDD by Windows and can't be read by MPEG Streamclip or most other programs I tried that claim to be able to import VRO files. The program supplied by the camera's manufacturer or Cyberlink Power Producer would be your best bet for getting an mpg from such problem discs.

Some people report they have success using VROs with various tools that take VOBs if they copy the VRO to their HDD and replace the VRO extension with VOB. There are some differences between the VRO and VOB formats and there is no guarantee this method will succeed or a result in a proper mpg file, but you might try it if you have not already done so.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I have a Windows machine. Do I need to pay a $20 licensing fee for the Apple mpeg2 decorder for mpeg streamclip to work?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bz186
    Thanks. I have a Windows machine. Do I need to pay a $20 licensing fee for the Apple mpeg2 decorder for mpeg streamclip to work?
    No. I used the version of Quicktime Alternative (1.81) recommended in the instructions for Windows users found on MPEG Streamclip's website. It works fine for me, but it is important to use the Quicktime Alternative version they tell you to use, not the latest one.

Unlike many free tools, MPEG Streamclip's authors provided some decent documentation on their website. Take time to read it. It contains some useful information.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I should have given more detail. These files are off a DVD-RW disc that I copied to my computer, so I will not have the DVD-Ram issue. Is there any quality loss using this software? Another alternative is for me to use the Nero software that I received with my Sony DVD burner. It can read and edit VRO files by transcoding the VRO file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There will be no loss of quality going from .VRO to .mpg using MPEG Streamclip. It does no transcoding or re-encoding. All it does is copy the video and audio to a .mpg container without changing them in any way.

MPEG Streamclip can even do simple edits at the GOP level, which would be at about 1/2 second intervals. Even though some video editors re-encode everything by default, edits done at that level of precision do not actually require any frames to be re-encoded. I think Nero may re-encode everything by default, but I am not sure. In any case, Nero's editing and authoring programs are not often recommended as by the members of this website.

I would suggest getting a better editing and authoring suite. VideoRedo and Womble's editors are frequently recommended. To make DVDs that any DVD player can use you will need an authoring program too. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 is often suggested for beginners, but there are others that work pretty well too. Look at the Tools section to see what is available
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your advice. I was looking at the video redo product. Can it handle VRO files directly or does it need to be mpg?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bz186
    Thanks for your advice. I was looking at the video redo product. Can it handle VRO files directly or does it need to be mpg?
    My copy lists VRO files in the "open" list.
    Dwight

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded MPEG streamclip. So I should convert it to headed mpeg and this will not result in any quality loss? I am trying to cut certain scenes out and save as mpg files. Would I use the cut and paste function? When I open the file, it asks me to fix timecode breaks and after I say yes, the movie title states it is VR_movie .mpg? So is there any need to convert to headed mpeg since the file extension is mpg? Should I have the Preserve GOP in and out checked under preferences to maintain audio synching?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't output using the headed MPEG option. I use the plain old MPEG option. That seems to work best for me. ...and no, there is absolutely no quality loss in the converted file.

Sorry, I can't help you with using the editing functions at the moment. I had to replace the HDD for this computer and I am in the process of re-installing my OS and all my software. I have not yet gotten to the point of installing MPEG Streamclip and I haven't used the editor often enough to reall the exact procedure from memory.

You may need to wait a couple more days for my help with this until I get some of my more pressing computer problems resolved. However, since I am not the only one on these forums who uses it, with a little luck you may get help for it before then.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used the convert to mpeg option and there is no noticeable quality loss. I found the trim function was the most appropriate for cutting the mpeg video and then do a save as. I will probably consider upgrading to one of the other program you recommended. I would like better frame control. I hope everything goes okay with your computer. Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

A late reply to this thread,

Using Debian Linux

I have used DVBCUT to edit files with VRO and VOB extensions,and export to mpeg it seems to work well.

With the mpeg files generated I am able to make DVD's using Qdvdauthor and K3b

john
    Last edited by johnathanjoe; 22nd May 2010 at 11:07.
    Quote Quote