VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all
    Basically I'm looking for an affordable DV camera, up to around 500 bucks, but it really needs to have certain features, (adjustable constant speed super slow zoom) otherwise I will have to just have rent a more high-end camera... any suggestions for discussion forums??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tenderloin
    Hi all
    Basically I'm looking for an affordable DV camera, up to around 500 bucks, but it really needs to have certain features, (adjustable constant speed super slow zoom) otherwise I will have to just have rent a more high-end camera... any suggestions for discussion forums??
    Variable camcorder speed isn't generally available in a consumer camcorder. Look into industrial video cameras that record to Tiffs or Pngs..
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do Tiff's and Png's have to do with variable zoom speed? Also what does not "generally available" mean? Not usually?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OOps, I read it as variable tape speed. Never mind.

Variable zoom kicks in at the prosumer level. There may be exceptions but I haven't seen any at $500. They usually step through 2 or 3 zoom speeds.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There has to be a camcorder out there with more than three stupid zoom speeds. For 500 bucks, is it too hard on the servos or something?

This sucks, because I could rent an industrial camera, but it makes more sense to use that money for purchase of a camcorder, instead.. None of these camcorders would have the feature I'm looking for at the price I mention?
    Quote Quote  
  6. www.camcorderinfo.com is a good place to search for info, specs, tests, discussions, etc...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks!
    Quote Quote