VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I just finished downloading a 4gb mkv video which at my download speeds took forever. And to my dismay I found that the file is broken.

It does not play in any media player viz. VLC, KMP, MPC etc etc. Even Gspot is unable to determine its codecs.

Is there any way I can salvage / fix / repair the video? I really want to see it or do I have to download it again?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not.

But try open in mkvmerge and see if it can find any streams...if not give up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What error messages do you see when you attempt to play the video? Does it even show video/audio at all?

GSpot's support for video formats other than AVI and MPEG is limited, more or less. It's common for it to show "Codec Status Undetermined" for both audio and video codecs on many of those containers. Use MediaInfo to take a look at the MKV, instead.

Note, too, that it IS possible that you've downloaded a 'fake,' which would mean it's 4GB of... nothing. If there's a Blu-Ray or DVD (or even VHS, Laserdisc ) of the video available, I'd recommend buying it, and save yourself some headaches.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Ai Haibara
    KMP error message is 'no combination of filters could be found to render the stream'.
    MediaInfo doesnt show any info at all!

@ Baldrick
    MKVMerge reports 'file identification failed for this file'

Looks like its a fake

Anyway, guys, thanks for your replies.
    Quote Quote