VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

Here's the problem, I have recorded some videos with a crappy phone that doesn't get volume very well from a distance, so you can hear perfectly well the person who has the device but the person who is at a short distance is barely listenable. The difference between the two volume levels is too high.

The tool I normally use to edit video is VirtualDub and Windows Movie Maker. I could increase volume in Windows Movie Maker, but just the overall volume, which helped a bit but is not what I wanted. I could do nothing in Vdub. I proceeded to look into an audio software alternative. So I downloaded TMPGEnc to extract the audio from the video file and looked into some audio tools to fix the job to then re-encode the video with the newly fixed Audio file.

So far, the only way I found to fix this a little bit better is by using Goldwave and manually selecting each part of the audio file wave where the other speaker has low volume and manually increasing it. This is a very time consuming job and I was wondering if there is any other way I can perhaps try to bring volume levels closer to an average to avoid the high difference between speaker 1 and speaker 2/etc.

I am attaching an example of how much the difference between the sound levels is...

Anyone has any idea how can I do this properly? What tools should I be looking into and what filters/etc should I use to get the desired results? There has to be an easier way to do this...

Thanks!!!

example.wav
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's called dynamic range compression. Most audio editors have it. Audacity's Effect -> Compressor...

comp.wav
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    awesome!! im gonna try this, tks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's a good suggestion for already-recorded material, but don't forget to work towards improving the WAY you're capturing the audio. as well. Better mike+recorder, better placement, more isolation/better directionality.

It's alot easier to make a minor fix to something that is nearly there, than to make a major fix to something that is way off.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    It's called dynamic range compression. Most audio editors have it. Audacity's Effect -> Compressor...

comp.wav
    jagabo, what were the exact settings you used on this wav file for Audacity Compressor?

Threshold, ratio and attack time?

Tks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't remember for sure. But I believe it was about:

Threshold: about -60
    Ratio: 10:1
    Attack Time: 0.1
    Decay Time: 1.0
    Normalize...: enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    awesome, i've been using this with a lot of my video files now. works beautifully!! tks guys! i luv this forum!
    Quote Quote