VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Panasonic ES46V from eBay, but the seller shipped it with the wrong remote. So, I bought a EUR7659Y 70 remote to replace it. The remote worked for a short time, but suddenly stopped working. I bought a second EUR7659Y, but this one doesn't work either. Any suggestions on how to get the unit to respond to the remotes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello melvid.

Have you checked for code compatibility between the unit and the remote ?
    I am providing a link (.pdf) for the user manual; look at page 21 and follow the instructions for setting the remote code.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/133/133DMRE45V.PDF
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you say "doesn't work" what do you mean, do you get a error code on the display such as "REMOTE" or "set 1"? If so your remote may just be set to the wrong remote number. Panasonics have 3 different remote numbers so you can have up to 3 Pannys and not have the remotes conflict.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks wt and Jeff.

Whenever I point the remote directly at the DVD recorder, whether I'm 6 inches or a foot away, the unit won't power on; there's no response to any of the buttons. I've replaced the batteries and have set the remote to turn my tv on and off, which works btw, but the ES46V is unresponsive. I'm not getting any kind of error code either. Unfortunately, I can't even set a new remote code because of this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since your remotes operate your TV I think you've verified your batteries are good and the remote is working, unfortunately it sounds like a problem with the reciever in your ES-46v, something I haven't heard of before.
    If you knew of someone else with a Panasonic DVDR (any model should do) you could also double check since AFAIK all US Panasonics anyway use the same remote codes, but it really sounds like something is wrong with your DVDR (which might also explain why you were provided with the wrong remote from the seller).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try the remote on another Pan unit and good point about the wrong remote. Thanks very much for the advice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See page five of the user's manual I supplied a link to in my previous post.
    According to that, you have the correct remote.

Are you able to power up the unit via the front panel power button ?

Have you inadvertently activated the timer record function ?
    If so, there should be an icon indicating so on the unit's display window.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good point wtsinnc, if the machine won't power up even with the front panel button it means other problems. I kind of assumed it powered up with the front panel button but maybe not?
    The ES-30v has a bug where if a scheduled event is programmed and the machine is turned off without a disc it may get hung up and never power back on (from either the remote or front panel). The only way I found to "wake up" a ES-30v in this case is to insert a VHS tape, the machine turns on and is fine after that. I've not had a ES-46v and would hope that bug was fixed(the ES-46v is a year newer model than the ES-30v) but who knows, Panasonic kind of has a habit of not addressing bugs in their DVDRs
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no scheduled event program and the unit powers on using the front panel button.

A funny thing happened, though. I inserted a VHS tape to try powering up that way and, after pressing the remote's power button, actually got a response of 'Set 1' on the machine. So I set the remote code using the instructions on p. 21 of the manual. The remote worked briefly (!) where I got as far as selecting the option 'set up the clock manually'. After that, the machine stopped responding and was frozen on the clock setting screen, so I turned off the unit using the front panel button. I was able to power on once more and got as far as "set clock manually" before the machine stopped responding altogether.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh well; I'm out of ideas.
    I believe you have a perfect candidate for a return for refund or exchange.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't get your money back and you want to get your machine fixed(it's actually a very good combo, one of the best IMO) you may also want to check into having Panasonic fix it under their $130 flat rate repair program. Since it doesn't have a HDD you MAY only be offered a exchange for a similar product(their policy seems to vary from who ever you talk to). Unfortunately Panasonic considers the current EZ-48v to be similar(it is a combo) but IMO the EZ-48v is not of the quality of the ES-46v. The EZ-48v does have a digital tuner but it's very buggy unlike the ES-46v which is basically bug free. I know you're having problems with your ES-46v but usually they're very stable but problems do happen
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestions and advice; I really appreciate it! I'll contact Panasonic and see what options I have available.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check this thread for Panasonic Warranty information, although a call should give you the latest information on this ever changing topic.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056657
    Quote Quote