VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I have done a lot of searching for something to do this but I'm either a bit stupid or missing it, so sorry if the answer is obvious.

I want to know if any software exists that can play back .ts or .pes files recorded on a standalone DVBT pvr which I have transferred to my computer with subtitle support.

The files are not edited or compressed. They are just how they come from the recorder. I can playback the files with Media player Classic just fine but I would really like subtitle support, without extracting. I am just interested in watching the file not backing it up so don't want to start editing/compressing/extracting,etc.

Does software exist that will play back these files and allow subtitle support from within the stream? i.e just by toggling the subs on or off like the pvr does

Any help greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly VLC - what country are located? What is the page address of the subtitles? Personally I think it would be better to run the files through ProjectX in demux mode, top and tail and maybe edit out any commercials if there are any.

I'm in Australia and use the Beyonwiz PVR. The TS files it produces play smoothly in VLC, and you can select the subtitles

Personally I think it would be better to run the files through ProjectX in demux mode, top and tail and maybe edit out any commercials if there are any.
    Demuxing will give you a video, audio and subtitle track as a srt format. Then after recombining the audio and video into a standard mpeg2 file if you give the subtitle track the same name then VLC and many other media players will pick it up.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use media player classic home cinema and name the subtitles the same as the video,you can have the subs switched on and off.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am in the uk. I don't know the page address of the subtitles, I thought that DVB subtitles were different.
    I have tried VLC but it cant play back the files. There is no picture apart from occasional very blocky images and no audio at all. It does show in the menu that there is a subtitle stream available but it does nothing when selected. Maybe this would be what I want if I could set it up right?

The files playback perfectly in Media Player Classic but that needs a seperate subtitle file, which I thought I wouldn't need to create if I could get software that can play back the file and also play the subtitle stream as well.

Would ProjectX clean up the stream and make it playable in VLC and does VLC support subs without extracting them first.

I have tried ProjectX but I didn't get valid files, I probably need to spend some more time with it.

I really wanted to just be able to play the files without any additional processing but am I right in thinking that the stream created by the pvr needs to be cleaned for playback by software?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The UK Topfield Forum is a good resource for solutions to problems like yours - To clean up stream errors using say MPEGStreamclip without first demuxing into the 3 streams will make the subtitles unobtainable. ProjectX is the only program that demuxes audio video and subtitles for DVB digital TV users like the UK and Australia. Typically here we have a mpa and an ac3 audio file along with the video and subtitle stream. In Oz it is on Page 801 . If you check with the moderator of the UK Topfield Forum (Nigel Whitfield) I'm sure you will find a heap of info regardless of your brand of PVR.

If you check my signature there is a link to my guide to Projectx in pictures showing the optimum settings and the only thing you would have to change in the UK is the page number for subtitles. The Beyonwiz PVR was set up by ex Topfield engineers and I guess is being trialled in Oz (sort of "Off Broadway") before wider release but it is an excellent 2 tuner HDTV PVR with full network playback and transfer of files etc in standard TS format.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVBViewer playes back DVB .ts files with subtitles and I think MediaPortal will do that as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi,
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Will research what you have suggested netmask56.
    I have been trying different settings in ProjectX but no luck so far.
    I managed to get a file to play in VLC after running it through ProjectX(Processing to .ts) but the subtitle option was gone from the menu. Don't ask me what I did.

I'll keep trying.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, all the countries of Europe are converting to DVB and all the countries who have always subtitled progammes will keep doing that. And even the countries where they just dub them will probably start thinking about their deaf citizens and start adding subtitles in their native languages.

Ie, millions will be encountering DVB-T with the embedded subtitle streams - eventually someone is bound to be able to write some small effective programs to handle this.

(of course as usual the US has chosen something else, so presumably the american programs won't be looking into this until much later *g*)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by branch
    Well, all the countries of Europe are converting to DVB and all the countries who have always subtitled progammes will keep doing that. And even the countries where they just dub them will probably start thinking about their deaf citizens and start adding subtitles in their native languages.

Ie, millions will be encountering DVB-T with the embedded subtitle streams - eventually someone is bound to be able to write some small effective programs to handle this.

(of course as usual the US has chosen something else, so presumably the american programs won't be looking into this until much later *g*)
    Take a look at my guide (link in my signature) and make contact with the UK Topfield Forum to find out the correct subtitle address to use. In Australia it is 801. The settings in my guide should apply to the UK and Europe except for the subtitle page number.

EDIT: I found this on the Toppy UK site
    Subtitles are transmitted via teletext. (e.g. page 149, 150, 888,
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Originally Posted by branch

Take a look at my guide (link in my signature) and make contact with the UK Topfield Forum to find out the correct subtitle address to use. In Australia it is 801. The settings in my guide should apply to the UK and Europe except for the subtitle page number.

EDIT: I found this on the Toppy UK site
    Subtitles are transmitted via teletext. (e.g. page 149, 150, 888,
    DVB-T subtitles are NOT teletext.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    True, teletext is an extra and subtitles have nothing to do with that.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote