VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Got a a curious problem here. Seems like anytime I try to copy VOB files under 50 Kb in size from a home made DVD to another folder on my hard drive (using Windows Explorer or DVD Shrink for example) I get a message saying an error has occured and cannot continue. Is this a common problem? Is there a way to get it fixed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A VOb that is only 50kb is size would have to be a corrupt file. That isn't large enough to actually contain any video or audio.

Are you sure about the size ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oops, I think I meant to type MG not KB. Sorry. All I know is that when my DVD recorder gets to the end of recording a movie (it usually breaks them up into 1.04 GB chunks or so) any remaining video is recorded in a very small file (usually named VTS_01_5.VOB) which can be any size under the 1.04 GB standard. For some reason, when these files get down really small (like 50MB or smaller, most Windows applications refuse to work with them and give me an error. I can't drag and drop them, or do anything. Is there a workaround to this? Even Windows Explorer refuses to acknowledge them. It says the file is "corrupt". What can I do?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It sounds to me like you are using poor media and the last little bit at the end can't be read off the disc. This is a common problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought about the poor media possibility, but ALL DVD decks can read those small files just fine when I play the entire disc, as well as NeroExpress can read them just fine when I want to edit the movie. But good luck trying to drag and drop those small files in Windows Explorer, or copy them with DVD Shrink or DVD Clone. They come up with an error.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DVD players skip over small errors. Windows Explorer does not.

Do you have Nero (it comes free with just about every CD/DVD burner)? Try running their CD/DVD Speed tools's transfer rate test. You'll probably see the speed curve get rough and drop off at the end.
    Quote Quote