VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a background in television editing, but that was a decade ago, and all off-line linear editing.

i have VHS and Hi-8 movies i want to capture to DV and edit, then do some simple authoring to DVD.

I'm looking for some good capture programs and dvd authoring software. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. How much do you want to spend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ulead and pinnacle are both good. If you're doing hd video you will need to spend a little more to get the "plus" editions that can input and output hd in formats like h264 and m2ts files.

Also if you want to do high def editing you will need a fairly strong computer. A dual core pc at least (or mac). You will also need a fair amount of storage space as hd files can grow rather large.

As jagabo suggested you can spend a great deal more on professional level programs. However many consumer level programs can do basics and more advanced things like editing, some special effects, and menu creation.

If you haven't done any editing on a computer you would need to familiarize yourself with it by doing small projects on shorter videos before tackling a larger project. Once you know where stuff is in a program it becomes easier to use.

Also do you plan to output strictly on the computer for playback on a monitor? Or do you have a htpc connected to a tv? Is this going to be for burning to dvd or to bluray? You will need to make sure that you have the equipment for what you want to do.

Edit -sorry ignore the last paragraph - didn't read that you want to output to dvd. You won't need the plus versions if you are importing standard definition video. The basic editions will handle standard video just fine. However you will get more features and other specials like transition effects with the plus versions. However many programs allow you to download and upgrade only certain packages instead of a whole step up to the next program level.

In a pinch you can even use the free windows movie maker to import dv-avi, edit, and then export to dv-avi. You can use cheaper programs to convert that dv-avi to mpeg2 for authoring to dvd.

Oh and another thing you can use some programs that are all in one like ulead or pinnacle that include dvd authoring, or you can capture, edit and author using seperate programs for more control in the final product. Some all in one packages lack certain customization features you might want.

A good bet is to download trial software from programs you might be interested. Then you can "kick the tires" so to speak to give it a run for its money and see how it performs. Of course trialware sometimes have limitations, mostly a 30 day limit and sometimes limiting only 5 minutes of video and the like. But its good enough to see if it meets your needs.

Edit 2 - also do you have a camcorder that outputs via firewire? (aka ieee1394?) You will also need to have a firewire input card on your pc (I think most recent pcs have a built in firewire jack on the motherboard - just make sure you have the right size cable - 4pin or 6pin). Also you will need to have a camcorder with "passthrough" mode that will let you connect an external source to the camera like a vcr. Otherwise to get a vcr to connect you'll need an external adapter with inputs and firewire like pyro something other - can't remember the name - but it will input the vcr and output to firewire. There are some programs that can capture to dv-avi from normal capture devices. But it probably isn't the same as the hardware solution directly via firewire.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Corel Video Studio Pro X2 (previously Ulead) US$67:
    http://www.amazon.com/Corel-VSX2PROENPC-VideoStudio-Pro-X2/dp/B001EJTO8A/

The Sony Vegas products are good. Vegas Movie Studio (~US$100) and Vegas Pro (~US$600).

I would avoid Pinnacle Studio (now from Avid). It has traditionally been the buggiest software ever produced.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    frys.com has a good price on vegas movie studio currently. $30 after rebate. it works well and has a better reputation for being bug free than the others.

http://www.frys.com/product/5700722
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmm, nice deal. I hate giving money to Sony though...

Comparison chart of different Vegas versions:
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a good VCR for the tapes, Otherwise you'll transfer tape noise to DV, too, and that's not a good idea. You should remove tape noise before transfer.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-playback-hardware.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote