VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My DVD player is starting to die... so, been looking at getting a Blu-Ray that plays DivX files, likely the LG.

Question is, I know the USB will work on an external drive (so long as the drive is powered and formatted Fat32) but, will it only play AVI files? Or if I had folders, each folder was a backup of my movies, would it play those as well?

Backups meaning, I use DVDShrink and in the folder are subfolders for the audio_ts and video_ts files. I have a tonne of DVDs and was looking at a LaCie 1tb external drive and just backing up my movies and videos to an external drive and playing on the USB, but, I've never heard if the files from DVDShrink would work? or just AVI/MPG files...

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To each their own. That's why most have bought a stand alone Western Digital HDD Media Player. It plays virutally everything from divx/xvid, mpeg, mkv, vob files, mwa/wmv, and a number of other formats including DVDISO. This unit has the added benefit of allowing for use of 2 hdds and you can have the drives formated as NTFS so there is no filesize limitation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hmm, looks pretty cool... but looks like a lack of BluRay or DVD player making movie rentals a bit difficult, so, I'd have to buy a BluRay player on top of that.

I'd rather find out more about the USB portion of the newer players that way I can have more than one external HDD drive, one for movies, one for music, one for TV shows... etc. Especially since I already have a couple of old 80GB drives sitting here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to look at each player and see what is it claims to be capable of. Most will be limited to Divx/Xvid encoded AVI files and maybe mpeg-2. Some will also do mp4 and even mkv, but you need to look at the player as a whole, and not just what is can play from USB drives. In this respect, I still believe the PS3 is the best Bluray player around.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, I've been trying to find the VOB ability but, doesn't seem to ever show up as will/won't.

The LG BD370 was top of my list given my current LG lasted a long time, also like the Samsung BD-P4600 flat wall mountable player as well since some day hoping an LCD TV as well.

Even using the search on this site, where you pick what features you want and it lists the players... I narrowed down the BluRays with USB and a few other options I want but, I don't see an option for playing folders with VOBs in it. DVD-MPGISO, but, not a simple DVDShrink copy to a folder, or uncompressed full copy to folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink can create an ISO as output
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Although I appreciate the alternative solutions... especially the WD Media Player which does look pretty good... I'm really just looking to see what players (if any) will play VOB files saved in a folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are really wanting the bluray ability and media files and don't want to get both the bluray and wdtv media player than the ps3 really is your best bet.

You can convert to avchd and burn to dvdr to get hd video that way. If you have a bluray burner bypass that and go straight high def with no further conversions.

The ps3 does do vob playback but I remember the one time I tried I'm pretty sure you lose menus and fastforwarding is a little awkward (I think you also lose the chapters).

The ps3 can also do networking via lan which is a big plus. Then you can simply stream your video files with something like tversity.

However an alternative to look into might be the cheapest bdlive enabled bluray player you can find and put the savings into a wdtv media player. Than you have the most flexibiltiy. The true beauty of the wdtv media player is the ntfs support so you can use any file size you want and a wide range of file format support.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by THRobinson
    Although I appreciate the alternative solutions... especially the WD Media Player which does look pretty good... I'm really just looking to see what players (if any) will play VOB files saved in a folder.
    The best player I have found so far to play Vob Files in a folder is the Philips 5990. I also have a PS3 but it doesn't do very well with Vobs. There is a problem with the PS3 with the way it looks for the Audio signal in a vob so in many cases the first Vob will play with audio the rest of them will not. Also the PS3 will not recognize more than I partition on a hard disk. So, if you have a Hard disk with more than 1 partition you'll have to move the files to another disk and reformat the multi partition disk to just 1 partition.

The 5990 will recognize multiple partitions and will play the vobs from a DVD folder if part of the same title set one after the other.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @CAL-TONY - that may be well and good but it sounds like the op wants to limit the amount of hardware to buy. THe 5990 is not a bluray player is it? That would make it three things to buy potentially, that, a bluray player and a wdtv player for max compatibility.

@the original poster - one option you may want to consider is either turning your existing pc into a htpc and connect it to your tv - or invest in one and build from scratch. That way with a bluray rom you can play bluray movies. Just be sure to get a remote with a usb dongle for it and you're good to go. You'll be able to play virtually anything and can use ntfs drives and network storage to boot.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote