Greetings to all,
This is my first post ever here, but I've been learning from "videohelp" for years!

I'm very happy with set top DVD recorders with Hard Disk Drives, but in my Country (Brazil) they simply vanished from the market. So I'm trying to find a PC quality-wise equivalent at a reasonable price that is capable of receiving NTSC and PAL-M (PAL-M is different than European PAL) color signal.

I've found a product that apparently does that, it is ADS "DVD XPRESS DX2", which has the CapWiz software that allows captures on nearly all the color systems around the world.

But here is my problem. I'd like to capture VHS tapes in a setting near what in DVD set top recorders is called "HQ" mode, that is, a variable video bitrate always close to 9mbps. With that, you have more or less 1 hour of DVD compliant video on a single layer DVD media.

I've seen that "DVD XPRESS DX2" CapWiz can have Custom Settings, but when it goes to a DVD 720X480 custom config, the software doesn't tell you too much about bitrates. It has just the modes "pretty good (smalles file)", "good (smaller file size)", "very good (average file size)", "best (larger file size)".

Does any of these have a video quality that delivers about 9mbps average (about 1hour on single-layer DVD) and is DVD compliant?