VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Some months ago I found an easy way to copy a track from a CD with one of the tools in Subject. I've since forgotten the details. It could be I used something else, but those are tools I normally use. Is it possible with one of them? If not, what tool will? Audacity? I vaguely recall hitting some sort or target-like record button.

I want to copy the track, then put it in wav or some audio format, and send it off via e-mail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most likely the track would be way too big to email if left in wav. use any of those tools and rip to mp3.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but that's an easy problem to take care of. Another format, or using different lower quality properties.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a .wav is a .wav, there are no "lower quality" settings. it has a fixed bitrate.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wav or whatever is beside the point. The question is how to perform the operation simply using some s/w tools. I have I have to chop it into segments, that'll be fine with me. mp3 -- whatever.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    T'was easy. SoundForge File->Extract Audio from CD. Save As each track with 16kpb for MP3 gives 870K. Easy fit for e-mail of many tracks each 7.5 minutes long, or combine them into something less than 10M.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    a .wav is a .wav, there are no "lower quality" settings. it has a fixed bitrate.
    Not true. WAV is a container file that accepts uncompressed, losslessly compressed, and lossily compressed codecs/algorithms. Not even counting MP3-in-a-WAV, etc., you could, for example, take the same ripped CD master track and either leave it alone at is native state of uncompressed, stereo LPCM @ 16bit and 44.1kHz (1.346Mbps), or you can downsample and downconvert it to 8bit, 22kHz, mono ADPCM at ~1/24 the bitrate.

I'd recommend you get EAC and then choose the exact codec as your external compression type (mp3, flac, ogg, etc) and then be able to automatically get BEAUTIFUL copies of what you want, with minimal fuss...

Scot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry, was only considering cd audio wav, which only comes in one flavor.

another decent audio ripping/converting tool is dbpoweramp.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EAC is best, especially if the CD is not perfect.

CDex is excellent and convenient.
    It can rip CDs to wave or MP3 or whatever format you like.
    Quote Quote