VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope someone can advise.

I previously had a Panasonic NV GS 250 but it broke-irreparable. I was so happy with the quality of what I got!

I used Motion DV (the Panasonic editing tool to capture and edit); TMPG Enc and Gui for DVD Author and then wrote the footage on DVDs

Now, I'm unsure what to do.

I bought a Canon HDV HV 40.This camera has a DV cassette and I am recording on HDV.

What are the steps to produce a DVD or should I buy Pinnacle/Ulead/or any other programme

1. For capturing on to my PC hard disk- what free programme can I use?
    2. Editing? Any recommendations?
    3. Does it need to be encoded?
    4. Authoring- any freeware available?

Or should I rather buy one of these all in one editing programmes, as mentioned above?

If so, what is currently good programmes??

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the same type workflow is needed for HDV. use HDVsplit to capture the video from the camera over firewire. the captured video will be long gop mpeg-2 1440x1080 - i or p depending on what you shoot. it is non-square pixel with an equivalent square pixel size of 1920x1080. you will most likely need a new editing program. i use vegas pro 9, but that part is up to you. vegas and other editors can render to whatever you want for an output, if it's for dvd then use it to make output to feed to gui for dvd author.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro is only $115 or so. It'll work fine for editing and will produce DVDs.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you know anyone looking for it, vegas platinum 9 is only $30 at frys.com right now.

VEGAS MOVIE STUDIO PLATINUM 9
    $50.00 Rebate
    SONY:
    For Windows
    FRYS.com #: 5700722

Professional-Level Power for Your Home Studio
    Video editing, audio production, and DVD authoring come together in a single, powerful solution. Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition software has everything needed to produce high-quality movies, corporate videos, wedding DVDs, and more. Easily edit video in almost any format including high definition. Powerful tools for video compositing, color correction, and surround sound mixing help you get feature-film results in your home studio. With integrated DVD authoring, Blu-ray Disc burning, and multiple options for online posting, you can deliver projects however you or your clients desire.

Limit 1 per Household.
    (when purchased between 08/28/2009 and 09/03/2009)

Shipping: In stock, same day shipping

Store Pickup: Available
    Detailed Description | Rebate Info| Tell a friend| Warranty Info

PLATINUM 9
    larger view
    Price: $ 79.99
    After Rebate: $ 29.99
    Click Here to Buy It!
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's unclear what you want to do

if you've shot in HDV and just want to make a few DVD's to conveniently watch on your DVD player (keeping the HDV on your tapes), you could just downconvert your HDV incam and output SD using some capture and editing software and finally author a DVD all using freeware in the tools department here at VH

there's a whole site for your hv20/30/40 cam => www.hv20.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it's unclear what you want to do
    As stated above, I used a series to produce DVDs- Motion DV from Panasonic for capturing an editing, TMPGEnc and Gui for DVD for authoring. My question basically was- can we use a "similar" series, or does one need to buy a a programme like Pinnacle or Ulead.

From what I read, it looks as if Vegas is recommended, with the Platinum product product including anything from capturing to producing the final DVD.

Is this correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes
    --
    Quote Quote