VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Windows Media Encoder and a capture card to capture a video camera. What are the optimal settings to use for Bit rate, Video Size, Audio kbps and kHz, stereo/mono, etc. on Windows Media Encoder to stream the video online? I don't want something too bad that will give poor video/audio quality or something too high that will keep buffering or affect people with slower internet connections.

It's to record a college class, so there will be projector images, small text, writing on whiteboard, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It would probably be best if you could capture a bit of sample footage first and then try encoding it with different settings in WME to see how they look. Depending on your resolution (which I assume is SD), you can try 500-2000kbps. Stereo audio at 64-96kbps, or maybe 128kbps if you're going for quality over filesize/buffering time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those settings seem a bit high for streaming video. I'm worried about filesize/buffering time.

I'm currently using 381Kbps bitrate, 640 x 480, 32Kbps and 44kHz mono (a/v) 1-pass CBR.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently using 381Kbps bitrate, 640 x 480, 32Kbps and 44kHz mono (a/v) 1-pass CBR.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, if it looks good to you then go for it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If feasible for your workflow, you would get much better quality if you recorded lossless or uncompressed then encoded to your final streaming format offline, at a 2nd stage. This allows you more efficient bitrate allocation by using a 2pass mode.

If you used h.264/aac you would get much better quality and smaller filesize than using wmv. At these low bitrates ranges , probably less than 1/2 for the same bitrate if you used wmv
    Quote Quote  
  8. We use 640x480 at 380kb/s for our video streaming using WME, but let our customers know it does not work well for displaying websites or any fonts under 18-20 point. For smaller fonts or screen sharing, we recommend a web-conferencing product such as Adobe Connect.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mp3superfreak
    If feasible for your workflow, you would get much better quality if you recorded lossless or uncompressed then encoded to your final streaming format offline, at a 2nd stage. This allows you more efficient bitrate allocation by using a 2pass mode.

If you used h.264/aac you would get much better quality and smaller filesize than using wmv. At these low bitrates ranges , probably less than 1/2 for the same bitrate if you used wmv.
    Are these settings I can change in WME? I will look into that.

I heard encoding to flash is the way to go now. I just have to find a cost efficient software and capture card that can do this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    whoops just edited the message above. i quoted the wrong person.
    Quote Quote