VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Background: converted numerous VHS tapes to DVD with a Panasonic DMR-E85H. The DVDs were authored in 704x480.

Want to now author BluRays with this footage but BluRay only supports 720x480.

When using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4, it will re-encode the footage to 720x480, however their is a noticeable loss in quality as I believe the footage is stretched, not to mention it takes a long time.

Is their anyway to make 704 into 720 without re-encode?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Magic?
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Resizing requires reencoding.

But maybe try multiavchd and see if it suppports 704x480 and it might work on some blu-ray players.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you will need to re-encode, AFAIK. But you could add 8 pixel black bars to each side and not have to resize and save some quality. You would want to up the bitrate to take care of encoding quality losses. But why would you want to convert to BD? Any conversion will only lower quality. You won't make any improvements with the conversion.

If you just want to put more videos on the larger BD disc, just add them as data files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rogalewski
    Background: converted numerous VHS tapes to DVD with a Panasonic DMR-E85H. The DVDs were authored in 704x480.

When using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4, it will re-encode the footage to 720x480, however their is a noticeable loss in quality as I believe the footage is stretched, not to mention it takes a long time.

Are you certain 704x480 isn't supported by Blu-Ray? I'm almost certain it is. All SD ATSC Digital television is 704x480.

First you shouldn't horizontal scale since this will cause scaling and recode loss. Trick is to add 8 black pixels left and right to pad out to 720 horizontal pixels.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    No, you will need to re-encode, AFAIK. But you could add 8 pixel black bars to each side and not have to resize and save some quality. You would want to up the bitrate to take care of encoding quality losses. But why would you want to convert to BD? Any conversion will only lower quality. You won't make any improvements with the conversion.

If you just want to put more videos on the larger BD disc, just add them as data files.
    How would I go about adding 8 pixel black bars to a DVD Video?

I'm actually transferring a bunch of my DVD-R VHS converts to BD-R discs, since I can fit much more standard definition video on 1 BD-R. Around 20 hours of footage on one disc as opposed to 2 hours per DVD-R.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

Are you certain 704x480 isn't supported by Blu-Ray? I'm almost certain it is. All SD ATSC Digital television is 704x480.

First you shouldn't horizontal scale since this will cause scaling and recode loss. Trick is to add 8 black pixels left and right to pad out to 720 horizontal pixels.
    From everything I've read...BluRay doesn't support it, thus TMPGEnc attempts to re-encode my footage.

How can I add the black bars to the sides? I have the DVDs ripped to my PC as Video_TS folders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd do it with a 704x480i composite in a 720x480 Vegas or Premiere project but I hope others will have ways to do it in free software. My machines are tied up right now so I can't test other solutions.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. This might be worth a shot. what about just patching the header to give the fake pic size of 720x480 with the old dvdpatcher tool?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by rogalewski
    How can I add the black bars to the sides? I have the DVDs ripped to my PC as Video_TS folders.
    AddBorders(8,0,8,0)

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/AddBorders
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

I tried patching with DVDPatcher but TMPGEnc still recognized it as not in acceptable BluRay format.

I will try using Avisynth tonight and let you know how that works out. I plan on using Avisynth with DGIndex to edit the VOB directly. Once I open the .avs file with VirtualDubMod, how do I export the video with added borders back to a new .VOB file? Or what's the best way to go about that?

As far as using Vegas, I do have a copy at work I can use. Would you mind providing brief instructions on what I could try? I've never used the software.

One last thing, I found this in regards to acceptable BluRay video:

As you can seem, 704x480 is not listed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by rogalewski
    I will try using Avisynth tonight and let you know how that works out. I plan on using Avisynth with DGIndex to edit the VOB directly. Once I open the .avs file with VirtualDubMod, how do I export the video with added borders back to a new .VOB file?
    You don't. After testing the script in VDubMod to make sure it's a good script (it'll give a helpful error message if there's something wrong with the script), open the script directly in your MPEG-2 encoder. When done, take the M2V produced, together with the original source audio, and reauthor for Blu-Ray using whatever you use to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    I will try using Avisynth tonight and let you know how that works out. I plan on using Avisynth with DGIndex to edit the VOB directly. Once I open the .avs file with VirtualDubMod, how do I export the video with added borders back to a new .VOB file?
    You don't. After testing the script in VDubMod to make sure it's a good script (it'll give a helpful error message if there's something wrong with the script), open the script directly in your MPEG-2 encoder. When done, take the M2V produced, together with the original source audio, and reauthor for Blu-Ray using whatever you use to do that.
    Okay great, one last question: what MPEG-2 encoder should I use to convert the Avisynth script into an M2V?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Okay great, one last question: what MPEG-2 encoder should I use to convert the Avisynth script into an M2V?

Thank you!
    HCEnc. It's free and works really well. I apologize if you already covered this as I skimmed the thread and just wanted to specifically answer this question, but I hope you noticed that you have to double the frame rate from standard def DVD for BluRay.
    Your frame rate for 720x480i on Blu Ray needs to be 59.94 fps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can directly use the .avs in TAW4 with its internal encoder (+ audio track demuxed by DGIndex). Use the audio/video delay value, written by DGIndex to audio file name (unless it's zero). Do a short test to be sure it's synched after (encoding+authoring).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    ... I hope you noticed that you have to double the frame rate from standard def DVD for BluRay.
    Don't think so. 59.94-i in this context means 29.97 interlaced frames per sec (although in others it is sometimes used to mean 59.94 frames rather than fields).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gavino
    ... I hope you noticed that you have to double the frame rate from standard def DVD for BluRay.
    Don't think so. 59.94-i in this context means 29.97 interlaced frames per sec (although in others it is sometimes used to mean 59.94 frames rather than fields).
    You are 100% correct. My mistake. Ignore that part of my post.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thank you!
    HCEnc. It's free and works really well. I apologize if you already covered this as I skimmed the thread and just wanted to specifically answer this question, but I hope you noticed that you have to double the frame rate from standard def DVD for BluRay.
    This worked! TMPGEnc now recognizes the video as BluRay standard.

One final question: what program should I use to rip the audio as is from the DVD? I want to keep the track exactly as it is.

Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ended up using Xilisoft DVD Audio Ripper and it works great.

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote