VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to install ffdshow just for the exclusive use of VirtualDub, do I just un-select everything during the installation and go into VFW to enable whatever that's needed by VirtualDub? (basically only to enable wmv and VP6)

I have a fresh install of Windows 7 and I don't want to mess things up....I want all the media players (WMP and even Media Player Classic HC...etc) to use their default codes and NOT touch anything in ffdshow.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, it should work but if you want to be extra safe you can set both the video and audio decoder settings->Directshow control -> Merit to do not use and use ffdshow only in virtualdub for example.

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick, much appreciated!

I'm sticking with NO MORE codec packs, and only install whatever that's needed.

I now have:

Avidemux (self contained) - my favorite, using daily.
    VirtualDub (needs VFW in ffdshow) - use only if Avidemux couldn't do it

WMP 12 (self contained) - best in playing .wmv in Windows 7
    SMPlayer (self contained) - Excellent
    VLC (self contained) - 1.0 is excellent, 1.0.1 is a bomb (time/audio syn is a mess for FLV streamed clips, dunno how they could mess this up big time when 1.0 was perfect)
    MPC HC x64 (self contained) - this is where I don't want MPC HC to access ffdshow! cause many times with MPC HC alone without installing ffdshow, MPC HC could play video clips perfectly, but once ffdshow is installed video clips are starting to mess up, I guess MPC HC is accessing ffdshow or ffdshow is making MPC HC to use ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  4. WMP isn't self contained. It uses DirectShow for everything.
    MPCHC isn't self contained. It uses internal file readers/splitters and decoders unless they're disable. If an internal filter isn't available, or disabled, it falls through to DirectShow. Configure via View -> Options -> Internal Filters.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo for the info.

Maybe my self contained is different from the norm, lol :P, WMP12 plays .wmv perfectly (better than VLC, MPC HC SMPlayer) in Windows 7 without me installing anything, that to me is self contained.

MPC HC is kinda self contained to me, cause whatever that's built in MPC HC, also without me installing anything, it could play almost anything perfectly in XP SP3, but lost out in Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does MPCHC play DivX and XviD AVI's with it's own built-in codecs? Regular MPC doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by CSULB71
    Does MPCHC play DivX and XviD AVI's with it's own built-in codecs?
    It does if it's internal Xvid/Divx decoder is enabled. View -> Options -> Internal Filters -> Transform Filters
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good deal -- I will "upgrade" to MPCHC soon. Then I can uninstall the DivX codec from my system since I don't use it to encode anything anymore?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so does that mean my version of ffdshow is toooo old ? and will not work with virtualdub ?? see me screen shot. I see there is no option to type in virtuldub in the cell. what version is Baldrick using and can you please post the download link for correct ffdshow version ??
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ffdshow-compare.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	21429  

Quote Quote