VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Was hoping for some help. I have a Sony Vaio laptop (vgn-sz440) and am trying to connect it to my pioneer HDTV. I am using a VGA to RGB cable, but the TV is not showing a picture. The computer says the display is connected, but nothing is appearing on the screen. I have various inputs and have tried them all. I also finally noticed I do have a vga input on my tv, but was hoping not to get another cable if possible. My pioneer tv is though 5-6 years old or older probably, so don't know if this might be an issue as well. Any thoughts or help I could great would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by togu68
    I have a Sony Vaio laptop (vgn-sz440) and am trying to connect it to my pioneer HDTV. I am using a VGA to RGB cable, but the TV is not showing a picture.
    VGA to RGB cable? VGA is RGB. I think you bought one of those VGA to component video cables (unfortunately, the component connectors are red, green, and blue which just confuses people) that isn't meant for use with computers. Most computers do not put out component video at the VGA port.

Originally Posted by togu68
    The computer says the display is connected, but nothing is appearing on the screen. I have various inputs and have tried them all.
    The above would explain this.

I also finally noticed I do have a vga input on my tv, but was hoping not to get another cable if possible.
    A VGA cable will only cost you ~$10. If you have an old desktop computer sitting around the house you can borrow the VGA cable from that for a test.

My pioneer tv is though 5-6 years old or older probably, so don't know if this might be an issue as well.
    Could be. If you post exactly what model you have someone who has the same model might be able to tell you. You will probably be limited to specific resolutions and refresh rates.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much, and do have a component cable (blue/red/green). So after looking a bit closer, it's actually a female VGA input, so now have to find a female to male converter which is kind of a pain it seems. Thank you for the help and now know better for next time.
    Quote Quote