VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way (using VDub or other), to insert a watermark in several parts of an .avi file (e.g. a logo appearing every ten minutes with a duration of 10 seconds), so that I only have to reencode those parts where the watermark goes, leaving untouched the rest of the file?

Having to reencode large portions of a video that haven't even been touched sounds kinda silly to me...

I did a search but find no answers to this particular question.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can do it in VirtualDub by splitting the file into parts. Direct Stream copy the parts without the logo. Reencode the parts with the logo (same codec, similar settings). Then append them all together.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    You can do it in VirtualDub by splitting the file into parts. Direct Stream copy the parts without the logo. Reencode the parts with the logo (same codec, similar settings). Then append them all together.
    I tried it, but VDub says it canīt append the files because of the different data rates.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dexter30
    You can do it in VirtualDub by splitting the file into parts. Direct Stream copy the parts without the logo. Reencode the parts with the logo (same codec, similar settings). Then append them all together.
    I tried it, but VDub says it canīt append the files because of the different data rates.
    What that the exact error message? If not, please post it.

Are you doing this video only (no audio)?

Did you use similar encoding settings?

You can try avidemux as another option to append
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Originally Posted by dexter30
    What that the exact error message? If not, please post it.

Are you doing this video only (no audio)?

Did you use similar encoding settings?

You can try avidemux as another option to append

This is the error I get:

This is the part1, the segment I applied the logo filter:

This is the part2, the segment that remains untouched:

[/img]
    Quote Quote  
  6. The streams have to be encoded with same specs. Even something like packed bitstream vs. non packed can screw up the append

Use mediainfo and gspot for more information on each section

Did you try avidemux? It's sometimes less picky
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The streams have to be encoded with same specs. Even something like packed bitstream vs. non packed can screw up the append

Use mediainfo and gspot for more information on each section

Did you try avidemux? It's sometimes less picky
    Avidemux seems to do the job. However the audio came up with a little gap in every joining point. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dexter30
    the audio came up with a little gap in every joining point
    That might mean you marked in and out on inappropriate frames. When using Direct Stream Copy a segment you keep must always start on a key frame. Keep in mind that the frame at the mark-in point is included in the segment. The frame at the mark-point is not included. So if you mark in at frame 100 (and this is a key frame) and mark out at frame 200 the saved segments will frames 100 to 199. For your purposes (mixed Direct Stream Copy and reencoding) you should stick to marking in and out only on key frames. You can move directly to key frames in VirtualDub by holding down the shift key while moving the frame slider or arrow keys. A [K] appears in the status area at the bottom of VirtualDub's window to indicate a key frame.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by dexter30
    However the audio came up with a little gap in every joining point.
    And in avidemux, did you try audio=> build vbr time map ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the audio came up with a little gap in every joining point
    That might mean you marked in and out on inappropriate frames. When using Direct Stream Copy a segment you keep must always start on a key frame. Keep in mind that the frame at the mark-in point is included in the segment. The frame at the mark-point is not included. So if you mark in at frame 100 (and this is a key frame) and mark out at frame 200 the saved segments will frames 100 to 199. For your purposes (mixed Direct Stream Copy and reencoding) you should stick to marking in and out only on key frames. You can move directly to key frames in VirtualDub by holding down the shift key while moving the frame slider or arrow keys. A [K] appears in the status area at the bottom of VirtualDub's window to indicate a key frame.
    It does make sense, iīll try it, thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    However the audio came up with a little gap in every joining point.
    And in avidemux, did you try audio=> build vbr time map ?
    You mean do this after appending all segments? Yes, I tried it and the now there is sound at the joining points but it is screwed up.

Anyway, I found that demuxing the audio from the original file and adding it to the new one with all segments together, the result is perfect.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by dexter30
    Anyway, I found that demuxing the audio from the original file and adding it to the new one with all segments together, the result is perfect.
    Good idea.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In VirtualDub, if you use the logo filter with 'blending' and Smart Rendering, would that not limit the encoding to the parts with the logo?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by sambat
    In VirtualDub, if you use the logo filter with 'blending' and Smart Rendering, would that not limit the encoding to the parts with the logo?
    I don't think so. If you do any filtering VirtualDub will decompress every frame, send it through the filter chain, then recompress. It has no way of knowing beforehand if the Logo filter is going to do anything with any particular frame.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you set an 'opacity curve' on the filter (also known as 'blending') and select Smart Rendering, then VirtualDub will not re-render regions where the opacity is set to zero. In that case, it does know that the filter has no effect on those frames. Note that Smart Rendering is a different mode from Direct Stream Copy - in the latter, the filter chain is completely switched off.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Gavino
    If you set an 'opacity curve' on the filter (also known as 'blending') and select Smart Rendering, then VirtualDub will not re-render regions where the opacity is set to zero.
    I didn't even know that ability had been added to VirtualDub!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a Jimmy Ruska clip that shows how - it doesn't mention Smart Rendering;I assume that was subsequent to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MWoVY9mYbk
    Quote Quote  
  18. Funny. I couldn't figure out how do use the blender (didn't know about shift click) and I happened to stumble across that help video while searching for instructions! Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Videostudio X2 Pro. You just add an overlay(containing your watermark-with desired duration) to any places you want on the overlay track. You can lighten the watermark, if you desire using the transparency slider. Quick and simple, unlike VD.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1
    Use Videostudio X2 Pro. You just add an overlay(containing your watermark-with desired duration) to any places you want on the overlay track. You can lighten the watermark, if you desire using the transparency slider. Quick and simple, unlike VD.
    This proggy is nice but makes video choppy right at the point where the logo appears, it lasts milisseconds but itīs noticeable.

Any ideas to get around this?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by dexter30
    This proggy is nice but makes video choppy right at the point where the logo appears, it lasts milisseconds but itīs noticeable.
    Are you talking about previewing within VideoStudio? That's probably because it's stopping to render the effect. It shouldn't happen in the encoded output.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about previewing within VideoStudio? That's probably because it's stopping to render the effect. It shouldn't happen in the encoded output.
    No, itīs just the opposite: in the preview, the video runs smoothly. When playing the encoded output, there is a little stop just at the point the logo appears!

I tried with two different videos and several kinds of effects for logos/titles and no success..

Now that is important: this problem only happens when I check 'Smart Render' option. But skipping that option will cause the whole video to be reencoded which is exactly what I donīt want.
    Quote Quote