VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you donate to open source software?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This poll is from freebird73717 - THANKS!!

Do you donate to open source software?

Yes. The programmer(s) deserves to be rewarded for his/her effort at offering free software.

No. If I donated then it wouldn't be free anymore.

No. As much as I'd like to donate I can't because I'm broke. wink.gif

Sometimes. If it is really great software then I donate at least a little bit of cash to the author.

Other? I donate time, testing, etc....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think I did it once....but can't remember what software it was.

And thanks yoda for keeping the polls alive!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @baldrick - sorry for the delay. I usually try to keep it no longer than 7 days between polls.

I actually haven't been online all week until yesterday. Just doing other stuff.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a program I use regularly, I usually donate to the author(s). It's a great way to encourage development of open source and freeware programs. And I use a lot of freeware programs, VirtualDub, VLC, RipBot and dozens of others. I think they are what keep this hobby alive. I also try to send the author(s) a thank you note, which surprisingly they don't seem to receive that often. I have gotten some nice replies back. They do appreciate recognition for their time and effort.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Other for me. Time (spent coding my own free software), testing for others software.

Originally Posted by redwudz
    I also try to send the author(s) a thank you note, which surprisingly they don't seem to receive that often. I have gotten some nice replies back. They do appreciate recognition for their time and effort.
    I've gotten a few nice messages from some members who have used my software. It is nice to get a little positive feedback on something that you've put a lot of effort into. Makes you want to continue it.

Yoda thanks for including my idea for a poll yet again!
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I donated to ImgBurn.
    Wink Dinkerson PhD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When the software is great and I use it often, then yes.

Examples: Mirc, LView, Zip, Imgburn, ...
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. as (hobby) software developer i like donations and usually half values of donations i got, i donate to others software developers

BHH
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't gotten any cash, but I did receive a nice set of swords for helping a user in Japan.
    http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217/swords.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have made donations 2 open source and open source resources EG Doom 9 which im not 2 impresessed with of late.
    I have also found people r biased against softwarte u have 2 pay 4 A good example being Badaboom
    Alot of open sorce software just dosnt work as well as software u have 2 pay 4
    Alot of people kid themselves free stuff is better EG Badboom which u have 2 have a more expensive video card eg nvidia 200 series .Honesty Is the best policy If u dont have the coin dont kid yourself free open source is better
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by liquid217
    I haven't gotten any cash, but I did receive a nice set of swords for helping a user in Japan.
    http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217/swords.jpg

I got a lot of cash for my site(read vcdhelp) some years ago when I didn't had that many banners/sponsors. But none for my software (vcdimagergui... )
    Quote Quote  
  13. I donated to Gom encoder, now they want to sell it. I guess, I'll buy it. Is it kind of like paying twice?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sincerely, i can't find my option in the poll:
    in my country is hard to send money for outside and i don't trust in the way that it works here.
    not means that i have big money to send.
    i have more free great programs running perfectly, in the other side some that i buy in shops work "more or less" and have more interface than results.
    some free progs do miracles!!!

cheers for developers of open source, i will find a secure way to send some.

edit:
    seems that i can vote in "I donate BIG time, BIG testing, sending ideas, sometimes finding little issues(some people call as "bug", not me)..." etc.
    example: yesterday and today i tested one wave multitrack 5.1 to flac with more than 7Gb ...6 times!!! no lazy here to help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    Yoda thanks for including my idea for a poll yet again!
    Glad to do it. Helps me recharge a bit and come up with something of my own later.
    Quote Quote