VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Board:

My question is:

I have recently ripped a copy of King Kong Blu-Ray to my computer. I have all sorts of programs that I normally use to create such a conversion. What I am trying to do is take the ripped video file, that uses the VC-1 codec, and convert it to x264. I have done this same process with another bluray and it worked perfectly. The problem with this particular rip is the original ripped video file plays perfectly. The video is crisp and the colors are as they should be. This is a .mkv format (my original rip, that is). When I take that .mkv and use the MeGUI to create an AVISynth, and encode the file to .264 format (the same way I do all the others), I get a video that is playable; however, the screen looks almost like there are two video layers on top of each other that don't line up properly. There are strange hue's in the video and is unwatchable, much less HD. It looks like there is about a centimeter offset. The offset is apparent if you look at the bottom of the video. The color "problem" shows clearly from the bottom of the video up about 1 centimeter. I am so confused as to why this is happening when the original .MKV input file plays perfectly. I have done this very same rip with another movie and had no issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What would cause this?

Thanks,

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would just try another x264 frontend and see how it works, like handbrake or xvid4psp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried using Handbrake (which is another program I use often) but it says it cannot find any indexes or chapters, something of the sort.. i cannot remember the exact error right off; however, it is an error, nonetheless.

Any other ideas?

It just baffles me because doing things the same way on other blurays work perfect. Do you think it has something to do with the VC-1 codec? I am not certain that the other blurays used the same codec. Seems like one of the others was a different one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    I have had good luck with ripbot264 recoding HD-DVD rips, which are usually VC-1 to H.264. It is a long process, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would second feastmaster. I've converted many VC-1 to avchd with Ripbot. I see you have an i7 so the encode should take 4-5 hours.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem awhile back using MPC to view an AVC file. Checking the filters used, there were 2 video decoders used causing what you decribe. The band-aid fix was to disable one of the decoders.

I forgot what I did to resolve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You should post a screenshot example as well as a ~30s snippet of your file. (Use MKVmerge to split it.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE: Solved.

I experienced the same issue with another movie "Chronicles of Riddick" I got fed up, so I re-installed the FFDSHOW codec/program that RipBotx264 was requesting. When I first loaded the RipBotx264 (recommended above) it said I was missing the FFDSHOW. Once I downloaded it, it completely fixed my issue. Who knows, perhaps a bad Windows 7 codec? I have the recommended Shark codecs for Windows 7, but perhaps that particular one was left out or corrupted.

In any event, problem solved.

Thanks for all the help,

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MisterZJ
    I have the recommended Shark codecs for Windows 7, but perhaps that particular one was left out or corrupted.
    What are "Shark codecs"? If you are talking about installing one of those codec packs that promises to play everyone on your PC after you install them, that could be your problem. Codec packs often conflict with each other. The general rule is to install as little as possible and only what you need and to avoid installing those monstrous codec packs available on the internet.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Off-topic, but I always recommend the CCCP because it's streamlined, clean, and maintained by very experienced encoders. It's basically ffdshow-tryouts + Haali's splitter + MPC-HC + a few other things.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I searched for the Windows 7 codecs online and found many that recommended the Shark codecs: http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

I know my issue with the color problem was instantly resolved by simply re-installing or installing the FFDSHOW.

Who knows? I have the RC version of Windows 7 x64, so i'm not sure as to what actually corrected the issue.

Just glad to have it resolved. Now, if I can just remember what I did come March when my RC version starts shutting down every 2 hours haha!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just doing a quick read about Shark, it looks like it uninstalled ffdshow, then installed a different version and that may have been the problem. Codec packs are a bad idea, IMO, no matter what their authors might say, and commonly cause more problems than they solve.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and you prove to be right Red

Seems like I originally installed it because I couldn't get mkv's to playback, when the best approach probably would have been download the Matroksa or whatever codec directly

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote