VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

There are several programs that extract audio from video files, but I haven't been able to find one that would extract video.

In other words, just to be precise, I want to keep the video and discard the audio.

I am talking of files like .mov, .wmv, .avi, .mpeg, and all the other video formats.

My technical expertise is nil, so if there is a specific program that can do this I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

iami
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are different tools for different types of files. No single tool can process them all, except ffmpeg comes close, it's like a "swiss army knife", but runs with command line.

e.g for GUI type applications you could use

mov => yamb
    avi => vdub or avidemux
    mpeg => dgindex
    transport streams => tsmuxer
    mkv => mkvextract
    Quote Quote  
  3. What you want to do is called De-Muxing, short for De-Multiplexing. Different progs for different formats. They do not so much Extract the video as divide the video and audio into seperate files. A key to this process is that there is no degradation or change to the video in any way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, poisondeathray, that helps me with most of my files.

I have, however, many in the .wmv format. Is there anything for that type of file?

And one last question, if I may, I see that the programs you mention are all free. Isn't there a commercial program that would work with any type of file?

Thanks again. Appreciate much your help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Nelson37. I did a search for the two words that you mention and indeed it seems that there is no easy "generic" way to extract video. I thought it was much easier and more common. Apparently many more people want to extract audio than video. Strange.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    For "WMV" (read: ASF), use AsfBin.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by iami
    Thank you, poisondeathray, that helps me with most of my files.

I have, however, many in the .wmv format. Is there anything for that type of file?

And one last question, if I may, I see that the programs you mention are all free. Isn't there a commercial program that would work with any type of file?

Thanks again. Appreciate much your help.
    There might be, but I don't know of any commerical program that would do it all
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte
    For "WMV" (read: ASF), use AsfBin.
    Thank you, El Heggunte. With this and poisondeathray's programs I am pretty much covered. I also have a few (just 2 or 3 each) files in the .divx and .mp4 formats. Any specific programs for those?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by iami
    I also have a few (just 2 or 3 each) files in the .divx and .mp4 formats. Any specific programs for those?
    Avidemux should be able to for both, and yamb specifically for .mp4

By the way, you are not really "extracting" with this when using avidemux, you are just re-multiplexing into a new container without the audio (ie. copying the video into a new container, without the audio)

For some of programs listed, you actually get the elementary video stream. Many elementary streams are usually not "playable" by most media players until they are placed into a container like .mp4, .avi, etc...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, poisondeathray, it seems that now I am complete.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    For some of programs listed, you actually get the elementary video stream. Many elementary streams are usually not "playable" by most media players until they are placed into a container like .mp4, .avi, etc...
    I have a new question, though, how do I place the new files in a container? Sorry, but my knowledge is really "inexistent"...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Not all videos are compatible in every container. You should stick with the one it came in. The exception would be .mov which windows doesn't handle very well (it's intended for macs), instead just put it into .mp4. But you can keep .mov with ffmpeg. There are some GUI's for ffmpeg as well, like avanti, that may help if you're not familiar with command line

Often it's just the same program. e.g. in yamb you would open the .mp4, uncheckmark the audio stream, while leaving the video stream checked. Essentially you are copying the file, but without the audio.

I can't go into detail for every single file type, so if you run into specific problems, post a specific question and someone will help you

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for yesterday's "demuxing crash course" Now I have the tools I need and some knowledge to start from.

Looks like this is a great forum and am glad to have found it.

Cheers! This one is for you...
    Quote Quote