VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I have these original theatrical release versions of the original star wars trilogy. When I try to play on my computer they get boxed around all edges. The are non anamorphic so they are ment to be played on a standard 4:3 tv. is there anyway to edit the dvd's to be anamorphic. I tried editing one to 16:9 but on a normal tv its still a little odd, you can kinda see the 2 different black bars, one from anamorphic and one from the left over since its 2.35:1(or 2:39 , not too sure) ratio movie. Is there any converter that will let me crop it to the full 2.35:1 rather then the 1.78:1 ratio of 16:9.

Hope someone can understand what I wrong there, thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can crop and reencode using TMPGEnc but the quality will suffer. I recommend buying the widescreen versions, I have seen them for $27USD.
    Another option is to use zoom on the DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the widescreen versions of the originals but they are all the newer edited versions that have anakin from the prequil at the end of return of the jedi and stuff like that. They never made the wide screen versions of the theatrical original release, the ones that are out are non anamorphic and look like crap on anything other than a 4:3 televison.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah I wish Lucasfilm came out with an anamorphic version but I'm happy with the widescreen THX version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    When i read the title i would have bet $$$ it was Yoda's
    :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im still a slut for the originals, I used to have the old laser disc copies that were converted to dvd but I lost them. these are about the same quality(pretty poor) Lucasfilm should have paid a little bit more money to do these right but they got more excuses then you could imagine and they are all BS. I guess Ill settle for the 16:9 with the added boxes. the added boxes even look bad but its still better.

Im using this guide to do it
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic350773.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lusacfilm won't be happy until we pay ten times. 3D conversion next. Then improved 3D version.

And still no ugrade discount.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. there is no such thing as 2.35:1 SD. you only get 3 choices with SD. 4:3, widescreen encoded into 4:3 or "anamorphic" widescreen which is only displayable at 16/9. there is no way to get 2.35:1 into SD without the black bars. the one and only widescreen flag only tells the decoder to stretch the encoded 720x480 video to 16/9 proportions.

even if they changed the rules and invented a 2.35:1 flag for you, your 16/9 tv would add black bars top and bottom to display it anyway.

this part of that thread is the part you need to follow-

I would let somebody else do all the hard work for you. Rip the DVD to your HDD, load it into DVD Rebuilder, and then select

Options>AVS Options>Advanced (Expert) Options>Convert from LB 4:3 to 16:9

and encode with HCEnc.

Burn with Imgburn
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    there is no such thing as 2.35:1 SD. you only get 3 choices with SD. 4:3, widescreen encoded into 4:3 or "anamorphic" widescreen which is only displayable at 16/9. there is no way to get 2.35:1 into SD without the black bars. the one and only widescreen flag only tells the decoder to stretch the encoded 720x480 video to 16/9 proportions.

even if they changed the rules and invented a 2.35:1 flag for you, your 16/9 tv would add black bars top and bottom to display it anyway.

this part of that thread is the part you need to follow-

I would let somebody else do all the hard work for you. Rip the DVD to your HDD, load it into DVD Rebuilder, and then select

Options>AVS Options>Advanced (Expert) Options>Convert from LB 4:3 to 16:9

and encode with HCEnc.

Burn with Imgburn

thats exactly the part that I followed. I understand that the tv would add the black bars but the tv black bars arebetter the the black bars on this dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by shroomalistic
    the tv black bars arebetter the the black bars on this dvd.
    Huh?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the black bars in the movie are more grey or faded black, tv adds true black.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by shroomalistic
    I haven't seen the DVD in question but I've never seen a commercial DVD with borders other than IRE 0. You may need to adjust the black level on your TV or DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by shroomalistic
    I haven't seen the DVD in question but I've never seen a commercial DVD with borders other than IRE 0. You may need to adjust the black level on your TV or DVD player.
    there were a lot of "fan" versions. i've seen a couple with the subs permanently burned into the black bars which don't always display as black 0 after that, more like 7.5 dark gray.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Here's my script if that helps:

Download it here:
    http://atlas.kennesaw.edu/~dhirschl/starwars/swDVD.avs

Code:
    #sw01 - A New Hope               avg=4683, max=9603, audio=192
    #sw02 - The Empire Strikes Back  avg=4495, max=9603, audio=192
    #sw03 - Return of the Jedi       avg=4321, max=9603, audio=192

m="sw01"

eval("v=movie_"+m+"()")
    v=resize16x9(v)

#apply text after resize for better clarity
    eval("v=subs_"+m+"(v)")

return v

function movie_sw01()
    {
    	#A New Hope (2006 DVD release)
    	loadplugin("C:\video\dgMPEGdec\dgdecode.dll")
    	loadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\NicAudio.dll")

v=MPEG2Source("G:\DVD\MainMovie\STAR WARS\VTS_01_1.d2v")
    	aud=NicAC3Source("G:\DVD\MainMovie\STAR WARS\VTS_01_1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3")
    	v=audiodub(v,aud)

#v=v.crop(0,100,720,-102).addborders(0,100,0,102, $00ff00)# green test
    	v=v.crop(0,102,720,-104).addborders(0,102,0,104, $000000)

return v
    }
    function movie_sw02()
    {
    	#The Empire Strikes Back (2006 DVD release)

v=MPEG2Source("G:\DVD\MainMovie\THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK\VTS_01_1.d2v")
    	aud=NicAC3Source("G:\DVD\MainMovie\THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK\VTS_01_1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3")
    	v=audiodub(v,aud)

#v=v.crop(0,102,720,-100).addborders(0,100,0,102, $00ff00)# green test
    	v=v.crop(0,104,720,-102).addborders(0,102,0,104, $000000)

return v
    }
    function movie_sw03()
    {
    	#Return of the Jedi (2006 DVD release)

v=MPEG2Source("G:\DVD\MainMovie\RETURN OF THE JEDI\VTS_01_1.d2v")
    	aud=NicAC3Source("G:\DVD\MainMovie\RETURN OF THE JEDI\VTS_01_1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3")
    	v=audiodub(v,aud)

#141781 - 141784 charging Ewok (interlaced frames)

#v=v.crop(0,100,720,-102).addborders(0,100,0,102, $00ff00)# green test
    	v=v.crop(0,102,720,-104).addborders(0,102,0,104, $000000)

return v
    }

function resize16x9(clip v)
    {
    	v=v.crop(0,60,720,360)

#v=v.bicubicResize(720,480)
    	#v=v.bilinearResize(720,480)
    	#v=v.Lanczos4Resize(720,480)
    	v=v.Spline36Resize(720,480)

return v
    }

function text(clip v,string t,int start_frame, int end_frame)
    {
    	#use these values if no resize16x9
    	#s=1.25
    	#ts=int(30*s)
    	#ty=int(370*s)#408

#use these values if resize16x9
    	s=1
    	ts=38
    	ty=410

tx=360
    	w=width(v)
    	h=height(v)

sub=blankclip(length=1, width=w, height=int(h*s), color=$0F0F0F, audio_rate=48, pixel_type="RGB24")
    	msk=blankclip(length=1, width=w, height=int(h*s), color=$000000, audio_rate=48, pixel_type="RGB24")

sub=sub.subtitle(t, \
    	font="Alternate Gothic No.2 BT", size=ts, text_color=$C0C0C0, halo_color=$0F0F0F, align=5, x=tx, y=ty)#text
    	sub=sub.bilinearResize(w,h)

msk=msk.subtitle(t, \
    	font="Alternate Gothic No.2 BT", size=ts, text_color=$FFFFFF, halo_color=$000000, align=5, x=tx, y=ty)#text
    	msk=msk.bilinearResize(w,h)
    	msk=overlay(msk,msk,2,1,mode="Add").levels(19,1,255,0,255)

segment=v.trim(start_frame, end_frame)
    	segment_sub=overlay(segment, sub, x=0, y=0, mask=msk)
    	v=v.trim(0,start_frame-1) + segment_sub + v.trim(end_frame+1,0)

return v
    }

function subs_sw01(clip v)
    {
            v=text(v,"Going somewhere, Solo?", 70657,70696)
            v=text(v,"It's too late.", 70824,70863)
            v=text(v,"You should have paid him when you had the chance.", 70871,70929)
            v=text(v,"Jabba's put a price on your head so large...", 70939,71010)
            v=text(v,"...every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you.", 71016,71083)
            v=text(v,"I'm lucky I found you first.", 71097,71135)
            v=text(v,"If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.", 71201,71281)
            v=text(v,"Jabba's through with you.", 71364,71404)
            v=text(v,"He has no time for smugglers who drop their shipments...", 71434,71521)
            v=text(v,"...at the first sign of an imperial cruiser.", 71527,71566)
            v=text(v,"You can tell that to Jabba.  He may only take your ship.", 71655,71746)
            v=text(v,"That's the idea.", 71802,71829)
            v=text(v,"I've been looking forward to this for a long time.", 71842,71927)

return v
    }

function subs_sw02(clip v)
    {
    	#This movie has no subs, but this function was necessary.

return v
    }

function subs_sw03(clip v)
    {
    	v=text(v,"There will be no bargain.", 14383, 14470 )
    	v=text(v,"I will not give up my favorite decoration.", 14540, 14701 )
    	v=text(v,"I like Captain Solo where he is.", 14779, 14857 )
    	v=text(v,"I have come for the bounty on this Wookie.", 20526, 20626 )
    	v=text(v,"At last we have the mighty Chewbacca.", 20768, 20899 )
    	v=text(v,"I want fifty thousand.  No less.", 21505, 21554 )
    	v=text(v,"This bounty hunter is my kind of scum...", 22554, 22665 )
    	v=text(v,"...fearless and inventive.", 22685, 22756 )
    	v=text(v,"It's too late for that, Solo.", 28767, 28853 )
    	v=text(v,"You may have been a good smuggler...", 28876, 28970 )
    	v=text(v,"But now you're Banta fodder.", 28980, 29056 )
    	v=text(v,"Take him away.", 29223, 29271 )
    	v=text(v,"Bring her to me.", 29458, 29502 )
    	v=text(v,"I'm sure.", 29750, 29794 )
    	v=text(v,"I told you not to admit him.", 33466, 33567 )
    	v=text(v,"He must be allowed to speak.", 33623, 33682 )
    	v=text(v,"You weak-minded fool!", 33703, 33774 )
    	v=text(v,"He's using an old Jedi mind trick.", 33830, 33926 )
    	v=text(v,"Your mind powers will not work on me, boy.", 34162, 34280 )
    	v=text(v,"There will be no bargain, young Jedi.", 34691, 34795 )
    	v=text(v,"I shall enjoy watching you die.", 34874, 34946 )
    	v=text(v,"Bring me Solo and the Wookie.", 39731, 39814 )
    	v=text(v,"They will all suffer for this outrage.", 39823, 39942 )
    	v=text(v,"Soon you will learn to appreciate me.", 43150, 43298 )
    	v=text(v,"Move him into position", 45220, 45285 )
    	v=text(v,"Put him in.", 45873, 45920 )

return v
    }
    Here is the font for the subtitles:
    http://atlas.kennesaw.edu/~dhirschl/starwars/ALTGOT2N.TTF

Hope that helps. All you have to do it rip the DVD, run the movie through DgIndex, then run this script. To do the other two movies, change the line at the top m="sw01" to "sw02" or "sw03".

Here is what it looks like with the anamorphic stretch... and the subtitles from my script.

http://atlas.kennesaw.edu/~dhirschl/starwars/71927_greedo_20080810.jpg
    http://atlas.kennesaw.edu/~dhirschl/starwars/58167_luke_20080811.jpg
    http://atlas.kennesaw.edu/~dhirschl/starwars/61807_checkpoint_20080811.jpg

It's way better than the laserdisc ever was, and I think the anamorphic resizing turned out great. The Spline36Resize is nice.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks man, ill give that a shot. Screen shots look great, so you understand what I was talking about with the black being not qite so black almost grey. Those were done with the newer limited edition theatrical dvd's?
    Quote Quote  
  16. this thx dts re-make version of mine has a grayish border. if you look at the black levels of the borders at the bottom of the screenshot they are 18,18,18 instead of the normal 0,0,0 for true black. my copy of the theatrical release and laserdisc transfers have true black borders.

black%20level.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    alright im a total noob here and have no clue how to do this. do I need to edit the script? I changed the path of the files.

Anychance someone can give a little more step by step walk threw?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by shroomalistic
    alright im a total noob here and have no clue how to do this. do I need to edit the script? I changed the path of the files.

Anychance someone can give a little more step by step walk threw?
    Up at the top, where it says:
    v=MPEG2Source("G:\DVD\MainMovie\STAR WARS\VTS_01_1.d2v")
    aud=NicAC3Source("G:\DVD\MainMovie\STAR WARS\VTS_01_1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3")
    You have to also adjust the names and paths for your system. I think he made the D2V using Forced Film.

Otherwise, assuming you have AviSynth installed and know at least the rudiments of creating a script, long before ever sending the script to your encoder, test it out in VDub(Mod). Then post your complete script and any word-for-word error messages VDub gives you.

Personally, I'd remove all mention of the audio from the script and add the audio back when authoring for DVD. I see no reason at all for it to be in there. That will also necessitate other edits to the script. This is to take nothing away from dphirschler's fine work.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    this thx dts re-make version of mine has a grayish border. if you look at the black levels of the borders at the bottom of the screenshot they are 18,18,18 instead of the normal 0,0,0 for true black.

black%20level.jpg
    That's damn ugly for a DVD. It looks like a poor conversion from analog tape.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Actually, I recommend using 'ignore pulldown flags' in DgIndex.

You'll need to edit the script to adjust your paths to your d2v file (that DgIndex produces), and the plugins. They should be fairly straight forward edits. Nothing too complicated. There is no harm in removing all mention of audio in the script. It's only there so you can play it in VirtualDub, maybe for testing audio sync.

Oh, and here is the font file for the subtitles. (Also added to my original post)
    http://atlas.kennesaw.edu/~dhirschl/starwars/ALTGOT2N.TTF

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by dphirschler
    Actually, I recommend using 'ignore pulldown flags' in DgIndex.
    That's only a good idea if the movie is 100% film (which this one probably is) or 100% video. Otherwise it's a recipe for out-of-synch audio. And if it really is 100% film, then you may as well use Forced Film. From the DGIndex Manual:
    Ignore Pulldown Flags - The pulldown flags are ignored. This allows one to obtain the raw encoded MPEG pictures, with no repeated fields. However, because repeated fields intended for display are ignored and not displayed, the resulting frame rate may differ from the source frame rate. It may even vary throughout the clip, due to irregular patterns of pulldown flags. If the pulldown is irregular, use of this option will cause the audio-video sync to change at different parts of the clip, and most likely sync will not be acceptable. This option is mostly intended for power users, who would use it as a diagnostic aid for inspecting the encoded MPEG pictures. Although this option ignores the flags, they are still stored in the D2V file although DGDecode will also ignore them.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Well, I used it because I wanted every frame that is in the mpeg file. I made my script to deal with it that way. I didn't want DgIndex deciding for me which frames to send. It may very well work using 'forced film', so maybe this is a moot point.

Really curious to see how it worked out for shroomalistic...

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OMG thank you guys so much, like I said before im a total noob when it comes to editing a dvd. Ive never used any of the programs mentioned so Im knida clueless where to start. Im just gonna start with the original star wars and see how it goes. so far I got it ripped to my hard drive.
    Ive got all sorts of vts_**_* files. It appears to me that the main movie is under the vts_03_0 to vts_03_6.
    In dgIndex do I open each one to make a whole or do one at a time? I was able to see the entire movie in DgIndex but when I saved I dont think it came out right.
    Quote Quote  
  24. In DgIndex open all the VOB files at the same time. Once it has loaded up the files select Video -> Field Operation -> Forced Film. Then select Save Project.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the entire thing or just vts_3 files?

im sorry for all the questions, I was going to give up by that would waist all the help you guys gave me.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Sorry, VTS_03_1 through VTS_03_6. They should all be about 1 GB except the last one.
    Quote Quote  
  27. When you are opening the files in DgIndex, the first "VTS_xx_x.VOB" file that is 1GB (you might have to change view to "Detailed" to see file sizes), grab it and the ones that follow until the last one is under a GB. DgIndex will sort them in numeric order and ask you if that is OK. Then you hit 'OK' and scrub through the video to make sure it is what you want and is in the proper order. Then go to 'File | Save Project'. Keep the filename, but you can put it (the d2v file) anywhere you want. I believe it will also rip the audio out of the VOB files. Make a note of where you saved it because that is what you want the script to point to (the .d2v file and .ac3 file. Keep the ripped DVD on your PC until you are finished with your conversion because the .d2v is only a text file which indexes the VOB files.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i got the .d2v file but no .ac3 file. Whats the next step
    Quote Quote  
  29. DgIndex should have extracted the AC3 audio to. If you want the audio make sure you have Audio -> Output Method -> Demux All Tracks selected.

Hey, while your at it, could you mark a half second of the movie and select File -> Save Project And Demux Video, then upload the resulting M2V file? I want to see those non black borders.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i tried it again, this time i got the ac3 file.

Ok now i got the files and I got the script edited, what else do I do next.
    Quote Quote