VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got rid of dish network (yesterday), but before I did, I saved all my dvr movies onto a Western Digital external hard drive. But my computer doesn't recognize the drive at all when I plug it into a usb port. They say that you're only supposed to use an external hard drive to save movies to later watch them through their dvrs, but I'm _hoping_ there is a way to watch them on a computer?
    Thanks for any help,
    Belinda
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have a similar problem as well. I recorded several college football games last season in HD to my external HD, and i would like to rip them to my PC an burn them to a DVD if possible but i don't know how. I imagine that you could edit out all the commercials and lower the copy quality to squeeze them onto a DL DVD, but again i don't know how. I have a 750gig external HD and its starting to get full, and i would like to save off the games if possible.
    "A Hero Need Not Speak. When He Is Gone, The World Will Speak For Him."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Impossible! The signal and the recordings are encrypted by Dish. The only thing that can read them is the dishplayer unit. Some older units used to not encrypt the recordings but they are mostly obsolete and can't be used anymore. Some other units had their audio scrambled so they also can't be ripped. In your case though, there is no solution. Sorry....
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you find a way around the encryption let us know.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Oct 2010 at 19:38.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought there was a program called dishrip that would allow windows to read a HDD from Dish Networks? I believe this program is about seven years old though so I'd be leery of it working on a new Dish Networks DVR.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That used to work on unencrypted files on (now) obsolete PVRs like the 71/7200s. That will not work on encrypted files...
    Quote Quote