VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I captured footage using Vegas 9 Pro as HDV from my Sony HDR-HC3 camcorder. Then I edit some of the media to split and remove unwanted footage. When I join on the timeline and add crossfade, transition or Fx event, the preview shows some of the end/lead frames I cut from the media before joining. The unwanted frames are not there if I do not add the effect, but the transition is rather abrupt.

Is Vegas cutting on a frame group, in which case there would be some unwanted left over video material when joining. Or is it because of the MPEG coding that spreads video information across several frames.

I've searched most forum topics related to Vegas Split, but could not find a good reference to solve this problem.

Thanks,
    Boris.
    Quote Quote  
  2. HDV is long gop mpeg-2. you might want to save out the cut pieces separately and then import them to make sure your edits stay where you made them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm editing on the timeline, so to save I would need to render and re-import the clips, which is a lengthy process. In any case, I would have thought Vegas should be able to fix this without workarounds. It sounds like I need to get on their support line.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got this advise from Sony HDV forum:

"Well, remember, in any editor, when you add a crossfade or any other transition you are "overlapping" the clips, so the transition must use some of what you previously edited out to make that transition happen. If your transition is 15 frames on either side of the cut, you need to first trim both clips by 15 more frames.

So if you want ONLY those frames you kept to be visible, and no others during the transition, mark the Out Point of the first clip 15 frames sooner and the In Point of the second clip 15 frames later, assuming you have a default 1 second (30 frame) transition. This way the very first frame of the second clip that is visible in the dissolve is a "wanted" frame, not an "unwanted" one. And the same would hold true for the end.

Otherwise it's not a transition; it's just a cut.

So it has nothing to do with either GOP or MPEG encoding."

Problem soved )
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sounds more like a workaround for a bug. that isn't needed for separate clips as the transition starts with the 15th to last frame of the first clip and ends with the 15th frame of the second clip.
    Quote Quote