VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I travel a lot with one server and 6 laptops. Space is a concern. when I turn on the server, all i have to do is enter the user name and password. So I don't need a full 15" monitor. Also, don't want to spend a lot on a specialized small monitor. So is is possible to connect a headrest monitor, or a inexpensive/broken DVD player monitor to the monitor output port on the server. It's the basic blue port. No special video card or anything.
    any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you console to it from one of the laptops to log it in? If it's a Windows server then hopefully it has things running as services so it doesn't need to be logged in. Most Linux builds work the same as long as they're set up to do so. I would try to find a way around the need to log in rather than have to hook up a monitor and keyboard.

To your solution those most of those type of displays use composite video or some other such analog source. I don't think I've seen any that have VGA inputs. Even old laptop displays usually have proprietary connectors. You'll probably find some but I'm guessing they're going to be much more expensive than you'd find a 15" LCD.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the insitght,

Actually you are right, last week the server monitor went out, was not able to log in with user name and password, but the laptops were still able to communicate with it. Can you tell me more about consoling it? I use logmein over the internet, but I don't think this is what you are talking about. the laptops are XP pro, the sever is ms server 2000.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On an XP box click START - RUN, type MSTSC, click OK, type in name of server computer when asked, click OK, enter login details and you're away!

Trev
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^^ What he said is the easiest way. If the laptop you're connecting with is secure then you could even make a shortcut to that remote session.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote