VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using multiAVCHD for encoding a 10GB mkv file into smaller size to be fitted into a dvd9.

During like 20-30% into encoding windows will report that x264 has stopped functioning and needs to close and then later when i try and manually stop the program. It will also stop functioning and windows will ask me to manually shut down the program.

Does anyone know the most likely reason why this occurs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is your system stable? What are your load temps? What kind of cooling? Run LinX or Prime95, memtest. If not stable, clock it down a few notches

Did you leave it alone, or were you doing other stuff on the PC at the same time?

Look for an error log and/or messages

Does your mkv have errors? or corrupted? Can you play it in MPC without pausing?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Is your system stable? What are your load temps? What kind of cooling? Run LinX or Prime95, memtest. If not stable, clock it down a few notches

Did you leave it alone, or were you doing other stuff on the PC at the same time?

Look for an error log and/or messages

Does your mkv have errors? or corrupted? Can you play it in MPC without pausing?

yes i guess my system is stable. the thing is i have not used those torture tests and run them for long periods on my pc, however i managed to encode an avi file for 5 hrs 1080p. I can play all my games on it at that speed fine.

First time round i actually started up a vidoe while encoding. 2nd time just some light surfing then i went to bed and checked on the thing occassionally. It failed and hence i'm here typing this.

Yes i already finished watching this movie with mphc. There's no specific reason given in the logs in fact the program doesn't even know x264 stopped.

I'm thinking of turning down my OC even though i'm not certain that's the cause oif the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jones24
    yes i guess my system is stable. the thing is i have not used those torture tests and run them for long periods on my pc, however i managed to encode an avi file for 5 hrs 1080p. I can play all my games on it at that speed fine.
    "i guess?!!"...That doesn't exactly scream confidence...

The CPU load during gaming is very different than that when encoding , it can easily go 10-20 degrees higher depending on the game or encoding scenario

You shouldn't be overclocking if you haven't tested stability or temps, or if you don't know what you are doing. You could have fried your CPU.

Again what are your loaded temps ? Use coretemp or realtemp, run occt, or prime95 . What kind of cooling are you using?

Before you look to anything else, the 1st rule is to make sure your hardware is stable...
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you're using a "Preview" while transcoding you may want to turn it off. And always use the latest build of multiAVCHD.

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote