VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not new to the conversion of videos but im not expert

in my pc more than 100 gigs of movies,videos etc are stored most of them are imp to me so to make a free space in disc i wan2 burn those in dvds (not as video dvd only as a data dvd)

[most of them are avi,mkv,mp4,divx,rm,rmvb]

Q
    1> Which format is best to save all those videos into data dvd?

2> which converter & tools (free & paid both are welcome) are needed to do so that they can convert to specific format with least amount of quality loss & more important is with small size?
    im not professional when it comes to the video editing as i stated at the start but i do use the lots of converter including virtualdub/mod,super,xvid4psp,divx,xillisoft conv. ultimate, real media tools etc but i failed means even though i might succeeded in quality domain but i totally su** when it comes to the size,synchronization of audio n video.according 2 me (correct me if i wrong) rmvb or what we called the real media is the only format which gives the better quality by taking least amount of space so i tried real media producer but it converts approx 190 mb (avi)video 2 100 to 110 mb but i saw some of the same video with 40 to 50 mb size having .rm format with very good quality. so bros plz plz help me to suggest format,tools & most important "Settings".it doesn't matter the tools u guys are suggesting is all in one or not im ready to try every single tool for single format.All positive suggestions are welcome. "THANKS IN ADVANCE"

Sorry guys to made topic so lengthy.

I all ready searched in forum about this.most of the topics are related about rm to avi but i found some topics but most of them are older than 2 to 3 years so i stated my query.I hope im not violating the forum rules by doing so otherwise mod delete the topic.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy more HDD. It's not worth to start reconverting already heavily compressed video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I was thinking, most of us just by USB HDDs
    Quote Quote  
  4. both of u thanks for reply but im not expecting this kind of reply from u guys atleast tell me new way to convert mkv,avi,mp4 to rm or rmvb with tools n settings i much appreciate that even though it's much more time consuming than normal conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Use MeGUI or Virtualdub and select x264 codec for encoding. You'll be able to figure it out after playing around for a while. MeGUI may not be as obvious 'cuz you gotta create an AVS script, but the app guides you thru the process, so you'll be fine.

As for the settings, you only gotta be worried about a couple of them. Set motion search to Multihex, subpixel refinement to max, always use 4 refs or 8+ for animation. Don't use psy-RDO, psy-trellis or any psychovisual feature. Everything on the Advanced tab should be checked and cranked up to maximum and Mode set to Auto. Leave everything else alone unless you know what you're doing. Check out Deaththesheep x264 VFW guide for details.

And you should probably denoise any scuzzy video to increase compressibility.

And Baldrick, stop assuming everyone can spare $100 to blow on a drive just to store random dumbass hentai videos when the economy's in the shitter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xpenguin17
    And Baldrick, stop assuming everyone can spare $100 to blow on a drive just to store random dumbass hentai videos when the economy's in the shitter.
    Baldricks advice is good,yours isnt,when you have so many files its hundreds of hours of encoding and hoping things turn out right,$100 isnt a lot for a hdd to store up to a tb of data.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not everyone here is a retired 50-year-old with a paid off house who doesn't have to worry about putting up with his bulldyke boss just to avoid ending up on the street.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I agree that the work reencoding isn't worth the effort and further degrading of the quality. Why not just burn them to DVDR the way they are? 100GB is only 25 DVDRs, or maybe 5 dollars or so worth of rupees.

And delete the ones you'll never watch again to cut down on the space required.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But everybody here has a computer that stores/encodes/burns video clips and doing that isnt always free.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. both of u thanks for reply im agree with all of u but i'll upgrade my pc next year when intel launches its new "i" series until that i want 2 store my videos on some sort of ext media just like dvd thast why i asked u guys about this.
    Xpenguin17 thanks for such a nice guide but i can afford little loss in quality this may be looks like fanboyism but sorry for trouble but will u give me settings for easy real producer or suggest some sort of tool with settings which creates videos like 40 to 50 mb of 25 min rm/rmvb episodes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use RealProducer and neither should you. x264 is higher quality than rmvb, and with 2-pass you can set the bitrate to reach any filesize you want (i.e 25 megs.)

EDIT:
    But everybody here has a computer that stores/encodes/burns video clips and doing that isnt always free.
    Most people didn't buy their computer last week. I bought mine before the economic shitstorm back when I could make $3000 a month easily. I sure as hell can't buy one now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    x264 is higher quality than rmvb
    I've always thought that rmvb has comparable compression to x264, since it is similar to MPEG4 Part-10 codecs. Especially, if RV40 codecs are used to compress the video to rmvb format.
    It is not that I'm a fan of rmvb format, but if the source files are Real Video format (encoded with RV10 codecs for example), then re-encoding them to rmvb doesn't seem such a bad idea.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I dunno, rmvb is closed-source so it's always been a mysterious format to me. The last time I checked, x264 was slightly higher quality. But the bottom line is that rmvb is not free, not as popular and compatible as x264, and nobody is replying to the OP for his request on instructions how to use Real Producer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Xpenguin17
    nobody is replying to the OP for his request on instructions how to use Real Producer.
    its sad but true

guys i recently downloaded the 1280X720 mkv videos with subtitle(each video is about 350 MB) i spent hell lot of time n used lots of converters to convert mkv to rmvb(with same resoltion about size 150 to 180MB) i succeded many time but problem is that apps fail to copy subtitles in rmvb files that's y i extracted the subs frm mkv & then merge it in rmvb but it shows subs with very large size which covers about 50 % screen of video.so guys plz plz plz help me i cant afford 1 GB space just for 3 videos.any app any encoder paid & free all are welcome

this is the list of apps which i used. so u guys can help me better bcoz of more options.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Option 1) Try to fix the subs font size issue
    Option 2) Use another converter - e.g. Format Factory.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Why don't you just extract the subs and leave them as separate files? Your players can easily display the subs along with the .rmvbs that you create.

And you need not even encode to .rmvb...how about encoding directly to x264, which is almost certainly more efficient than .rmvb at low bitrates?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by creamyhorror
    And you need not even encode to .rmvb...how about encoding directly to x264, which is almost certainly more efficient than .rmvb at low bitrates?
    so that mean with the same size & resolution h264 give better quality than rmvb if thats the fact then can u tell me how can i decrease the mkv bitrate without or least amount of quality loss plz bro
    bcoz i tried with reverpast video cleaner & realbooster pack with combine processing they give amazing o/p but op video is slightly pixelated in some files so plz bro guide me to decrease the bitrate & size with least amount of loss.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    Quote Quote  
  18. Just use whatever tool you usually use to encode H.264, but use 2-pass mode and set a bitrate. This will allow you to control the size of the output file.

It's not easy to clean up videos that have already gone through an encoding step. Cleaning is extremely time-consuming and doesn't result in that much better quality.

There's a chance that if you switch over to encoding to H.264, you'll find you can't achieve the quality that you can with your rmvb cleaning tools. It's up to you to decide if you want to try it. I use MeGUI to do my x264 encoding, but you can try Handbrake for a simpler process first.
    Quote Quote  
  19. i tried handbrake but instead of o/p file it give file having name "HandBrakeCLI.exe.stackdump" whats the problem bro?

i used h264 as encoder with 2 pass mode with 1000 kbps bitrate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bro now i tried mediacoder 4 to do this job o/p video quality is prtty impressive even though it took 50% less space if compare with input video & without changing the resolution. but audio is present only upto certain time after that there is no audio.where i made mistake guys plz help me.

Used sttings
    Info Of Input File

General
    Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Austin\Desktop\Temp\Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 01 - Fullmetal Alchemist.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 331 MiB
    Duration : 24mn 29s
    Overall bit rate : 1 887 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-04-05 22:18:59
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
    Cover : Yes / Yes

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L5.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 12 frames
    Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@5.0
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 24mn 28s
    Bit rate : 1 673 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 1 772 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.076
    Title : Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - 01
    Writing library : x264 core 67 r1134M b8808bf
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=12 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x131 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=20 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=1772 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.80
    Language : English

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : Vorbis
    Format settings, Floor : 1
    Codec ID : A_VORBIS
    Duration : 24mn 29s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Title : 2.0 Vorbis
    Writing library : aoTuV Beta 4.51 (UTC 2005-11-17)
    Language : Japanese

Text #1
    ID : 3
    Format : ASS
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
    Title : ASS
    Language : English

Text #2
    ID : 4
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8