VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

For the record, I know a little about computers, not much about this video stuff.
    I read throught the posts about "capturing" images from a DVD video.
    I have a DVD-RW that was created from scans of old photos, what I would like to do is break the DVD video back into the component images it was made from, is that possible, or were they altered when the video was created?
    Are the "capture" options I've read about my only option?
    Keep in mind, this DVD is like a slide show with some fade in/out effects.
    I want to retain the highest quality possible because they are old family photos.
    When I look at the disc contents there is one folder Video_TS
    and the 3 typical bup,ifo,vob files and the 4 vts_01 files - I don't think there is any audio, if there is, I don't need it.

Thanks,
    James
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In short if this was a true dvd which it looks like since you have the video_ts structure than the short answer is not exactly.

What I mean is the original picture files are not present on the disc. They were converted to a dvd video format - which is 720x480 for ntsc.

Basically your only option now is to use a video player software that can take screenshots and freeze frame each shot you want.

Do you have the original picture files that were used? That would be the best situation to start over with. Otherwise it will be lower quality to use snapshots off the dvd.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thx Yoda

I guess I will capture them for now and see if I can track down the photos later.
    The captured images are only about 30KB, really poor in my book.

when I first saw the video I thought it was like a powerpoint presentation and I just assumed I would be able to find the original photos on the disc.

nothing is ever simple is it

James
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quite a few slideshow programs have options to include the original photos on the disc....sadly many people do not take advantage of that option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I've made photo collage DVDs in the past, I've included a "Jacket P" folder - containing the photos and other pieces used. It's not always on all verisons of the disc, especially if the DVDs are being circulated outside the family. Typically, the person who purchased the job will get a full blown master - and I will keep one. This way, if changes are needed later, or extra copies: I can assist the original purchaser. I will go to lengths to advise the purchaser of the content on the Master, and to maintain possession of it.

Not certain how many feel regarding this, but I feel maintaining a degree of control regarding who has digital copies of someone's photos is acting responsibly. I wouldn't want anyone to be able to pick photos of my family from a disc and do who knows what with them.

As to pulling a photo from the DVD: MPEG2VCR can pull one from the .vob file; Media Player Classic can take one (bmp) from a paused DVD.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can use Media Player Classic to capture images from the disk by using pause and File > Save Image...

If you want to enlage those images afterwards you can use: SmillaEnlarger

Both are freeware, however none of them have a batch function, so you'll have to grab and enlarge them one by one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54
    Quite a few slideshow programs have options to include the original photos on the disc....sadly many people do not take advantage of that option.
    So true, if a program doesn't have an option then I make a folder named PICTURES.
    MPC and PowerDVD have the ability to take a snapshot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Originally Posted by hech54
    So true, if a program doesn't have an option then I make a folder named PICTURES.
    WE know that....but sadly nobody at Best Buy who sold the newbie Roxio or Nero told them that.
    Sad but true....and no offense intended to anyone. We were all in that boat once.
    Quote Quote