VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    virtualDub.

Which one will produce a higher quality and which one will be quicker?

Do u think by using mutiple passes on a video but with a lower bitrate it will encide the video faster with high quality or just a single pass but with high bitrate.

I apologise because i really lack experience in this. I am hoping to encode a vid with bitrate of 8000Kbps in 1 and a half hr.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm assuming you are using x264 as a continuation of your other threads

your only real option is 2pass vbr for bitrate control

a 1pass abr will give you very poor quality, and still might overshoot/undershoot

a 1pass crf will give you good quality, but unpredictable bitrate or filesize

there is no chance of encoding (i'll assume a 45min section) it in 90min with your system, unless you use abr with very low quality settings
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    I'm assuming you are using x264 as a continuation of your other threads

your only real option is 2pass vbr for bitrate control

a 1pass abr will give you very poor quality, and still might overshoot/undershoot

a 1pass crf will give you good quality, but unpredictable bitrate or filesize

there is no chance of encoding (i'll assume a 45min section) it in 90min with your system, unless you use abr with very low quality settings

Thanks for this.

I tested it using an 8000 bitrate and it's quite good. Vdub estimates the time taken to encode this will be like 4hrs.

U suggest a double pass. So it's double pass at 8000 brate? Will it take twice as long?
    Quote Quote  
  4. No, the first pass is an analysis pass, if you use "turbo" settings it will be much faster than the 2nd pass with negligible impact on quality

You don't want to spend 4-5hours only to find out you oversized it... LOL. Use 2pass VBR.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, the first pass is an analysis pass, if you use "turbo" settings it will be much faster than the 2nd pass with negligible impact on quality

You don't want to spend 4-5hours only to find out you oversized it... LOL. Use 2pass VBR.

It won't be over sized because i lowered the bitrate already.

The thing i am concerned about now is speed.

With 2 passes at 8000 bitrate will it still take 4 hrs?

Or i lower the bitrate with 2 pass and it s faster?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes using a lower bitrate will speed up encoding a bit, using lower quality settings will speed it up too

I don't know how long it will take. Just do it overnight. Quit worrying about how long it will take. Or buy the blu-ray
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am trying out multiple pass with 5k bitrate vs 8k bitrate single which takes more than 4hrs.

I would assume that 5k mutiple pass would obviously be faster than 8k and have the same quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jones24
    i am trying out multiple pass with 5k bitrate vs 8k bitrate single which takes more than 4hrs.

I would assume that 5k mutiple pass would obviously be faster than 8k and have the same quality.

Not even close
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes using a lower bitrate will speed up encoding a bit, using lower quality settings will speed it up too

I don't know how long it will take. Just do it overnight. Quit worrying about how long it will take. Or buy the blu-ray

Of course lower bitrate will speed it up. I am just comparing the 2.

Mutiple pass takes longer and since it goes thru analysis but if it speeds things up with a lower bitrate with the same quality i would take it.

When encoding vids 1 should know the diffs.

I am quite disappointed that someone with more experience can tell me the diff. I have to try it out myself.

If the answer is buy the blu ray or the dvd, there's not much purpose for this forum. True some ppl need to edit home made vids but most of them would be talking about movies and stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tested it out 5K bitrate multi vs 8k single quality wise 5k multi is as good as the original 9.1k.

Now it's the time. Multi pass has no time stated.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jones24
    I tested it out 5K bitrate multi vs 8k single quality wise 5k multi is as good as the original 9.1k.
    Not likely.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by jones24
    Not likely.

That's what i saw after i finished encoding part of the file.

Now it's the time taken.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jones24
    Not likely.
    Look closer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not likely.
    Look closer.

yup i saw it up close and i even compared by watching one first then the other. Looks the same. In fact the 5k one looked better.
    Quote Quote  
  15. What you are suggesting is simply impossible, mathematically and otherwise

You are use a lossy format. Even if you double the bitrate @ 20Mbps it would look worse than the 9Mbps "original". Details are lost every generation, and compression artifacts accrue

Perhaps you have a low quality display?

All that really matters is if you *think* so...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What you are suggesting is simply impossible, mathematically and otherwise

You are use a lossy format. Even if you double the bitrate @ 20Mbps it would look worse than the 9Mbps "original". Details are lost every generation, and compression artifacts accrue

Perhaps you have a low quality display?

All that really matters is if you *think* so...

Mine is not low quality. I am wtaching using a HD screen. Even if it really is low quality if it can make a encoded film with lower brate look better what does that mean?
    Quote Quote