VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    When you play a SD DVD on a Blueray player does it use the blue laser or do they have red laser for SD DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would suspect it has to have a red laser. Isn't the blue laser finer than a red? I don't know if it could widen its focus for the bigger pits on a dvd.

Or am I misinterpretting the way the laser works?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I believe DVD players already usually have two different lasers - one for CDs, the other for DVDs - so it wouldn't surprise me if Blu-Ray players contained all three lasers. And, it wouldn't surprise me if that tended to drive up the price a bit, either.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a side question:

Didn't hddvd use the standard dvd laser? Wasn't it something about the way the hddvd was produced that allowed the extra data without the need for a different laser?

Or am I misremebering that? Because wasn't the hddvd suppsed to be cheaper to produce than bluray? And wasn't the production of the actual disc supposed to use most of the dvd methods and not need to be retooled like bluray does?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD-DVD were indeed pressed on standard DVD presses,not needing the specialized presses for Blueray.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Here's a side question:

Didn't hddvd use the standard dvd laser? Wasn't it something about the way the hddvd was produced that allowed the extra data without the need for a different laser?

Or am I misremebering that? Because wasn't the hddvd suppsed to be cheaper to produce than bluray? And wasn't the production of the actual disc supposed to use most of the dvd methods and not need to be retooled like bluray does?
    Sorry, but your memory is faulty. HD DVD used the blue laser that BluRay also uses. You are right in remembering that the discs were able to be produced on DVD production lines, but I never saw any explanation as to why that was. The discs themselves have much smaller pits than red lasers can read and thus required the use of blue laser.
    Quote Quote