VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I prefer to use a built in windows software over 3rd party apps. How this can be done using window 7 apps? Since I got my windows 7 I got a bunch of WTV files and I cannot simply copy them to a shared drive on my network and watch them using my non windows 7 (xp) laptop. I know I can convert each one file at a time from windows 7 but I don't know how to convert the entire folder at one time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use RemuxTool with a batch file. RemuxTool comes from - http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/49/t/95712.aspx

My batch file looks like this:
    for %%i in ("*.wtv") do call :LOOP "%%i"
    GOTO:EOF
    :LOOP
    if not exist "%~n1.mpg" C:\PROGRA~2\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe -cp %~dp0\remuxTool.jar util.WtvToMpeg -i %1 -o "%~n1.mpg"
    if errorlevel 1 GOTO:EOF
    del %1
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am using CONVERTWTV and it works for me now. However I prefer not using 3rd party apps and cjbrown80 stated it was possible to do so with Windows 7 "without using a piece of software" or did I misunderstand him? I was hoping that it was built into windows 7 to do batch convert WTV to other format so I can watch them using XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    I am using CONVERTWTV and it works for me now. However I prefer not using 3rd party apps and cjbrown80 stated it was possible to do so with Windows 7 "without using a piece of software" or did I misunderstand him? I was hoping that it was built into windows 7 to do batch convert WTV to other format so I can watch them using XP.
    Just click on the right button on your mouse ... on the WTV video file ... a menu will drop down and this will allow you to convert a wtv video to a ... DVR-MS ... video file.

This a Windows 7 built in feature.

Batch encoding is NOT one of the features ... Windows 7 has included ... that I know of.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was doing the right click and convert to DVRMS but I have lots of recorded media that I like to convert to use on my older windows. Now I am just using convertwtv and it works for me. It was just $0.99 so it did not break my bank and it works.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lacywest View Post
    Just click on the right button on your mouse ... on the WTV video file ... a menu will drop down and this will allow you to convert a wtv video to a ... DVR-MS ... video file.

This a Windows 7 built in feature.

Batch encoding is NOT one of the features ... Windows 7 has included ... that I know of.
    Actually batch encoding is a built in feature. I found this forum on technet that mentions an executable that is included in the windows/ehome directory called WTVConverter.exe that can batch convert entire directories of WTV files.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpromedia/thread/f1b87068-6ba0-4d68-8...8-13d57497adb6

Also mentioned is a script that will run in your system tray and automatically convert new WTV files as they are recorded.
    http://wtvwatcher.codeplex.com/

I hope this helps. I joined just to post it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's now June 25, 2012 ... any new stuff or updates on the best way to convert DVR-MS (best quality) to 720p/1080p H.264 and IMPROVE the quality? Yes, we'd also like to edit out commercials.

We are playing with the latest VideoReDo "H.264" beta but no conclusion yet.

$100 seems a bit steep ... anything else out there?

Thx,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. since dvr-ms is basically mpeg-2 why not simply:
    (0. remux dvr-ms to mpg with ffmpeg in case ProjectX doesn't support dvr-ms)
    1. run dvr-ms through ProjectX to a. fix problems in stream, b. extract audio and video streams
    2. run extracted raw streams through Cuttermaran to cut out commercials (and create mpeg output)
    3. reencode and filter video with your favorite encoding tools that supports Avisynth and x264

btw. depending on your quality messure you will probably not improve quality, since you are reencoding into a lossy format (assuming you are not using H.264s lossless profile, which would blow up the file size),... depending on the source you can boost quality by doing filtering, but objectively you can only keep or loose quality through reencoding.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anywhereanytime View Post
    It's now June 25, 2012 ... any new stuff or updates on the best way to convert DVR-MS (best quality) to 720p/1080p H.264 and IMPROVE the quality? Yes, we'd also like to edit out commercials.

We are playing with the latest VideoReDo "H.264" beta but no conclusion yet.

$100 seems a bit steep ... anything else out there?

Thx,

Scott
    VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 is the best product available for what you want to do. It is probably worth the $100. If you happen to live in N. America, I have not heard of anything else that is as good as VideoReDo's product line for dealing with the transmission errors that are so common in recorded ATSC/QAM streams.

MCEBuddy and MC-TV Converter have an auto-conversion feature. I have not used the feature and cannot comment on its performance, but it appears that you can set these programs to run at a specified time to convert files in the specified folder to MP4 HQ, and remove commercials with Comskip. Both are fine for simply converting from .DVR-MS or .WTV to .TS, but it is likely that neither handles transmission errors gracefully when converting to H.264 or removing commercials.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I completely agree with usually_quiet. I ended up paying for VideoReDo also about a year ago and I have not regretted it. It handles the treansmission errors as perfectly as possible like he said. Nothing else has that capability that I know of.
    Help!
    Quote Quote