VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have just added a blu-ray drive to my pc and for some reason i cant play bd discs. i tried downloading all sort of codecs like haali media splitter, matroska splitters, coravc, and k light pack and k light mega pack. no luck. i also tried by downloading vlc player. what am i doing wrong. is it a setting or what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you attempting to play commercial BDs? Did your drive come with any sort of player software?

Yes, the codec packs were most likely a Bad Idea.

I'm not sure VLC has support for Blu-Ray at this time. Or Windows Media Player, for that matter. Other freeware players are even less likely. I'm blanking on the two main commercial software players for Blu-Ray, at the moment, so someone else will probably mention them, soon.

Is your monitor connected via HDMI? It may well need to be...
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Commercial Blu-ray discs are highly copy protected and require certified player software like PowerDVD or WinDVD. None of the free players will play BD discs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i read some of your genius comments: yes i am using an hdmi, and yes my drive came with POWERDVD. i installed it and it works, the only fault is that my gui goes to windows basic skin because its not compatible. so i guess it works. but heres another question, when i copy the avchd files to my hdd, it cant be played by either wmp, powerdvd, or vlc. why?
    Quote Quote  
  5. when i copy the avchd files to my hdd, it cant be played by either wmp, powerdvd, or vlc. why?
    it's not allowed. playing bluray off the hard drive with powerdvd stopped with powerdvd v7.3 wmp and vlc don't play blu-ray at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rafoolik
    my drive came with POWERDVD. i installed it and it works, the only fault is that my gui goes to windows basic skin because its not compatible.
    This happens when a program uses the old video overlay renderer in Windows Vista. That output driver is not compatible with the Aero interface. PowerDVD may have the ability to use a different output driver. If so, try using VMR9.

Originally Posted by rafoolik
    but heres another question, when i copy the avchd files to my hdd, it cant be played by either wmp, powerdvd, or vlc. why?
    Because the BD+ or AACS copy protection has been removed. Or the sources had no copy protection to begin with (camcorders, etc).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    rafoolik, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. Frorafoolikm our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote