VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen amplifiers in ads that have HDMI inputs but are still only 5.1. Why is that? Isn't that against HDMI specs? I mean I know bluray and hdmi go UP TO 7.1 audio but isn't the whole point of bluray/hddvd to go up to the max?

I can't imagine it would bring the costs down that match to offer 5.1 instead of 7.1. For that matter why not split the difference and go 6.1? Is the extra processing power that much pricier to produce and they would take this seemingly unexplainable downstep?

Or is the similar to me having a hdtv that is only 1366x768 instead of a full 1080p? Is it "in the specs" but not at the max?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also another question - I saw an ad for a 7.2 amplifier. Now I have never seen a bluray featuring 7.2. Is that simply saying it has two subwoofer outputs? What is the advantage of that? Is that for those monster home theaters you see on those redesign shows that do wild redos?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not seen 7.2, but HDMI has little to do with the number of channels. If an amplifier says it is HDMI 1.3 compliant then the audio and video data will be streaming across to the amp. Whether or not the amplifier itself supports more than 5.1 channels is a different issue. I have seen cheap amplifiers that support video pass-through only via HDMI, and do not do any decoding of digital audio data sent over than connection. It is a matter of economics more than tech specs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wait a minute - video only through hdmi? Man you really have to read the fine print then. Obviously buyer beware - you get what you pay for....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Brother-in-law got it in a bargain package. Cursed himself afterwards because it means his PS3 has to use optical out.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Brother-in-law got it in a bargain package. Cursed himself afterwards because it means his PS3 has to use optical out.
    That's how I use my ps3.

However that is because I don't have a hdmi receiver yet. I probably won't buy one until my sony amp kicks the bucket or I can get one new under 200.00 (and at 7.1 with full hdmi). But I am also not really in a market for it just yet.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe this will help.

I bought a mid range 7.1 Denon receiver recently for my computer room. I had several choices.

First, this Denon can be configured for 7.1 (has seven separate amps plus subwoofer line level out) or it can be configured for 5.1 with a separate stereo feed to another part of the house. The second feed can be from the same or separate source. I opted to operate 5.1* in the computer room and feed the second channel to the "house speakers" (e.g. separate music or a stereo mix that I can hear when I run to the kitchen fridge).

Now for the HDMI options.

I opted for HDMI video/audio pass through to the HDTV so I can listen to a two channel mix off the TV (amp off) or listen to 5.1 off the amp. I watch the news with the amp off but turn on the amp for Letterman or Conan or 5.1 movies or DVD. Digital audio is sent to the receiver over optical or coax connections.

I could have opted for a Blu-Ray seven speaker plus subwoofer configuration but I considered this overkill for this room.

Next step up was an HDMI decoding model with four HDMI in and audio extraction (2.1, 5.1 or 7.1) off the HDMI. These could operate without a separate optical or coax digital audio feed. These can also operate in v1.3 audio modes from a Blu-Ray player.

Next up from that was a model that can upconvert composite video, S-Video, or component video to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p to the TV so that all switching can be done by the receiver with one connect to the TV. Done correctly this might solve the one remote problem but the cost is steep (like double).

So I opted for the mid range model for the computer room. I would consider more for a dedicated home theater with 7 speakers and a subwoofer.

* Two Polk LSI-7's for left and right (a great Fry's deal).
    * Polk CS-10 center speaker (a great Newegg buy)
    * Polk surrounds (Fry's)
    * Polk PSW-10 powered subwoffer (another great Newegg buy)

House stereo feed is to two JBL (2-way).

** 5.1 from HD cable box, DVD player, HDTV optical out or 2 computers.

Total cost to me was under $950 for amp and all speakers. (Revised) I added again. California sales tax not included.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    damn fine setup eddv.

Makes your head spin just thinking about the options you have these days.

Sure is a lot more complicated than two speakers isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to say the bulk of the budget should go to the speakers but the amp needs to handle the speakers and support Dolby Digital and DTS. IMO HDMI is a convenience issue and secondary.

Also shop carefully for speaker deals. The two LSI-7 front speakers list for $820. I got a "refurb" Fry's deal for $349 several years ago. They were factory guaranteed (5yrs) and worked perfectly.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. To answer your question yoda...yes 5.1 is to BDA and HDMI specs.
    My recommendations for AVRs:
    The Onkyo 507 is a great entry level AVR, it supports all HD codecs and has 5.1 output.
    The Onkyo 607 has more inputs and has 7.1 output.
    One caveat is most BD titles use 5.1, so the AVR will make a quasi 7.1 mix.
    http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php?OrderBy=Title&Audio=7.1
    (96 titles out of ~2000)
    Quote Quote