VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there,

Ok I have the hauppauge hd pvr 1212. It works great when doing live or prerecorded material from my hd pvr (a motorola dch3416). I use the component output cables and a fiber optic cable to get great hd video and 5.1 audio (when the program has it of course).

The thing is I finally want to start using the ir blaster so I can record programs as they air instead of recording them and then having to replay them to dub them. Also annoying when I have other programs scheduled to record while dubbing because a "program recording' and "program finished" message pops up while playing back shows - I don't want that on the recorded file - it will record on screen graphics.

So I've been trying for the last hour or so to get that ir blaster setup. I downloaded the latest version of their software. I have the adapter hanging off the front of the dvr. I am not 100% sure where the sensor is on the dch3416. I've tried two spots now and I have not gotten any positive codes from the test software. I have the dvr on so I'm expecting it to turn off when it finds the right code.

In the setup menu I have it selected to North America, cable box, and I have tried Comcast (which is what I have) and Motorola but have not found a good code yet.

I have even tried the learning mode it offers in the new version. However it keeps giving an error message.

Ok obvious question here - the ir dongle has a flat side and a rounded side. I am pointing the rounded side at the dvr - is that correct? It does flash red as the test progresses so I know the dongle is attached properly and the program is actually sending test codes.

Is this an inexact science? Is it not fool proof? Am I missing something painfully obvious here?

Also - are there third party ir blasters for free or realtively inexpensive that would work with the hauppauge hd pvr? Also would they be more likely to have a good remote code for the motorola hd pvr 1212?

One other question - I saw something on another forum about the pvr 150 ir blaster and somebody there mentioned they were lucky enough to have their serial port active and bypassed the ir blaster. How would I go about testing that? What kind of cable would I need to go from the dvr to the hauppauge hd pvr? Is that safe? Would it do any damage to the hauppauge?

Also how would I go about permanently installing the ir blaster when and if I get it working? I currently have a heavy paperweight over it. Would it be safe to use tape on a dvr? Mine seems to get pretty hot and I don't know if clear tape would be ideal....

Thanks for any tips and advice.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there,

I was looking to see if anyone had any pointers on setting up the hd pvr ir blaster.

Thanks....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. On the Hauppage website FAQs, they say the IRBlaster won't work with the bundled TotalMedia Exteme software. So if you're using that, you're out of luck. It will work, however, with MythTV, GBPVR, et.al. (Makes me wonder, why is it included?)

On my Motorola cablebox, the IR sensor is on the left of the oval display, just above the yellow indicator light. If you take a strong light and shine it there, you'll see it. I believe the sensor on your DVR will be in the same location. Stick the controller directly over the sensor, its range is only a few inches.

I installed GBPVR and got to the point with the IRBlaster where I could find a code which would turn the cablebox on and off, but that was it. Pfui, enough time wasted on that. I'm still using my iMon, which is far, far better. Also still using TotalMedia Extreme, which is so much better than TotalMedia3, (which I used before), that there's no comparison.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.

[EDIT] After that ringing endorsement, anyone want to buy my IRBlaster...cheap?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hey there,

I was looking to see if anyone had any pointers on setting up the hd pvr ir blaster.

Thanks....
    Hello yoda313,

Just wondering how you like your hauppauge hd pvr 1212? Does the HD video record back at 1080i or is it 720? Also when you get it to your PC hard drive can you then burn to Blu-Ray DVD from there? I was think of using this with a HD satellite receiver. Thanks
    Thanks stinkfist
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by newworldman
    Just wondering how you like your hauppauge hd pvr 1212? Does the HD video record back at 1080i or is it 720?
    1080i records at 1080i. 720p records at 720p.

Originally Posted by newworldman
    Also when you get it to your PC hard drive can you then burn to Blu-Ray DVD from there?
    The current software allows for M2TS which will play on the PS3 directly. You can burn them to DVDs which will play in most blu-ray players. I think you can master on blu-ray too. You should see some of the threads at avsforum:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1015617
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055232
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @newworldman - yep jagabo is right.

Originally Posted by fritzi93
    On the Hauppage website FAQs, they say the IRBlaster won't work with the bundled TotalMedia Exteme software. So if you're using that, you're out of luck. It will work, however, with MythTV, GBPVR, et.al. (Makes me wonder, why is it included?) huh.gif
    So I guess there is no reason to keep trying huh?

Is there any other recording software that will record in high definition with the hauppauge hd pvr and the ir blaster?

Thanks for the response.

EDIT - oh and by the way they do mention the remote that comes with it won't work with it either - its for other apps too.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The IR Blaster should work how ever TotalMedia Exteme software can not change channel with in TME it only used by the hauppauge scheduler
    Yes beside the two that where listed above SageTV and BeyondTV

The best way to go when it come IR Blaster is the USB-UIRT with GBPVR, SageTV and BeyondTV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shs
    The best way to go when it come IR Blaster is the USB-UIRT with GBPVR, SageTV and BeyondTV.
    Will any of those record in hd with the pvr like the arcsoft recording software?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yoda, I don't know if any of this will be of help:

changing channels with firewire:
    http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/firewire/readme.htm

changing channels with usbuirt:
    http://www.usbuirt.com/

Some talk of using them here:
    http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-model-1212.html
    Be sure to check out his rcTVCap program for unattended recording.
    Quote Quote