VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I got stumped on this one.

I have a client that asked my to transfer video from Hi8 to DVD. I did some minor editing in Vegas and then frameserved the video to VirtualDub using the deshaker plugin. I've done this many times before with remarkable results, but in this case the video comes out looking horrible. It's like the white balance is totally wrong with a "blueish" coloring to it.

I do have some color correction in Vegas, but I'm assuming that it would render that to the frameserver just fine.

I processed the video is using the Panasonic DV codec which is what I've used before, but maybe there is some setting that is wrong this time that I missed.

Anyone have any idea's on this one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lgh529
    OK, I got stumped on this one.

I have a client that asked my to transfer video from Hi8 to DVD. I did some minor editing in Vegas and then frameserved the video to VirtualDub using the deshaker plugin. I've done this many times before with remarkable results, but in this case the video comes out looking horrible. It's like the white balance is totally wrong with a "blueish" coloring to it.

I do have some color correction in Vegas, but I'm assuming that it would render that to the frameserver just fine.

I processed the video is using the Panasonic DV codec which is what I've used before, but maybe there is some setting that is wrong this time that I missed.

Anyone have any idea's on this one?
    I'd advise against using the Panasonic DV codec for camcorder video. Camcorders usually use the full 16-255 (7.5-110+ IRE) luminance range. The Panasonic codec clips white detail above 235 digital (100 IRE analog). Instead use the Cedocida DV codec that properly preserves the 0-15 and 236-255 overshoot levels.

This may or may not have contributed to the blue shift.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Purely a guess, Vdub converts everything to RGB so make sure (if Vegas allows you) to export to RGB colorspace

I would just render your video to a lossless AVI using a codec like Huffyuv in RGB colorspace, then opening the AVI directly in Vdub.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Soopafresh. Some time ago I teseted various ways to export from a DV format Vegas project (Vegas->Virtualdub->Vegas) and concluded uncompressed or Huffyuv YCbCr or RGB export and import works better than DV format because of Panasonic DV codec issues. See page 3 half way down here.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic295422-60.html

I haven't repeated these tests with the Cedocida DV codec, but I'd expect the results would be closer to huffyuv.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, the huffy codec worked much better.

I'll have to stick with that one from now on.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Uninstall Panasonic DV codec from your system (you'll probably have to delete the dll manually too) and install Cedocida instead. Aside from it's internal problems it can screw up your system by claiming it can decode some types of video that it can't.
    Quote Quote