VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you pay for express shipping on online orders?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you pay for express shipping on online orders?

I do once in awhile. Usually though I'll go for middle of the road options like 3-4 day shipping instead of the absolute slowest shipping rates. I almost never do next day or two day shipping.

How about you?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Rarely, I can wait a few extra days.
    What gets me is expedited shipping sometimes costs more than what I'm buying.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moviegeek
    What gets me is expedited shipping sometimes costs more than what I'm buying.
    Yeah why would somebody pay 7.00 for shipping on a 5.00 cable????

SOmetimes though like dvd clubs I'll pay the higher shipping costs because I don't want to wait 6 weeks for it to be delivered. Otherwise I'll wait three or four days or whatever for basic normal shipping.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rarely, and only if they don't rape me on the charges.

I find it appalling how much most of these companies attempt to charge people for shipping. We have UPS, FedEx, and USPS shipping accounts and ship out hundreds of packages a week. I usually let some companies slide on a dollar or 2, but when I know my shipping cost is $3.45, and they are attempting to charge $12, I'll never look at the site again.

Rima is about the only company I've paid extra for express delivery. They're on the west coast, I'm on the east coast, the few extra dollars is worth getting my products in 1-2 days, versus 5-7 days by [s:78758d1301]pony express[/s:78758d1301] UPS.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends what it is, I sort of want things right away, the last thing I ordered took 3 weeks, phoned them twice, they said it was out of stock web site said other wise. I usually go for the best deal, because Im at work all day, so I will have to go pick it up at the main depot anyway if it doesnt fit through the letter box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I usually opt for the cheapest. Free is even better!
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some things from time to time do need a little urgency, and especially in business it's fully understandable.

But a person who always NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS it NOW NOW NOW for every little trivial purchase tells me something about their impatient simpleton character.

Cool it man.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Depends from where i buy,if from a local online shop i will cause its only a couple more dollars but if from newegg.ca i rather choose free shipping items cause normal shipping is $16 and expedited is $35.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the online companies I deal with have three day UPS as their cheapest option, and that's fast enough for me. Amazon has often been the slowest, but I suspect some of that is internal, not with the shipping. Newegg has often been the fastest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    ...but if from newegg.ca i rather choose free shipping items cause normal shipping is $16 and expedited is $35.
    yeah why is it that newegg's normal shipping is 3day select. I would be happy with standard ground. I called their customer service and asked them that and the cs rep didn't really have an answer for me. Just said that those things are set by the higher ups.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Newegg takes 7 days for normal shipping to canada cause they ship from california,guess they dont want to open a canada based operation to ship from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hell! No, I never ever choose express shipping for any online orders! Shipping costs to Hawaii are EXPENSIVE and OUTRAGEOUS! Yuh, I know because they have to air freight it over here. Although Newegg does have UPS ground ship which according to the UPS guy in my area is 3 day shipping. But he said some times they can bump up the shipping to 2 days. Go figure! I don't trust UPS since they just leave shit at your door. I know the FEDEX guy in my area will leave any box with my neighbor.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ups knocks at your door for a couple seconds and runs aways leaving the package and drives to the next address doing the same thing unless you are right at the door.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I favor the cheapest way - which for computer stuff is in-store pickup at ncix.com, a short walk from my house. International orders require care to avoid outrageous border fees; some carriers want $35, while the post office is content with $5.

On a few occasions I've wanted parts in a hurry, paid for fast service, and had delivery within 24 hours. It's nice to know that option is available.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I rarely pay for shipping. Atlanta is a major hub for most shippers and the USPS, so I normally get stuff within 3-4 days, even with free shipping. If there is any delay, it is usually with the company that I'm ordering from, not the shipper.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Most of what I order on-line is from Tiger Direct. I have it shipped UPS Ground and receive it the next day.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never. I stock supplies - paper, DVD-r's, carts, mailers, envelopes, cases, etc. I reorder when I'm getting low. I even have extra printers new unopened and a reserve new fax machine in the box. I have multiple computers and spare parts. I never run out of anything and never have to pay extra for express shipping.
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I ship express only on high-end goodies, such as cameras, soley to minimize the time in which it can be abused in shipment. And this applies only to goods that have a huge markdown over the local purchase price so even with the extra shipping cost it's still a good deal. Otherwise I'll purchase those goods locally. For everything else it's the cheapest shipping possible.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I usually pay for next day.

But there is a reason for this. Depending on the courrier service, the depot can be 50miles away if I have to cellect when they've tried to deliver when I'm not in. Even re-arranging delivery is a PITA because they can't give me an am or pm slot, just a date. It costs more in gas to go to the depot and back than it does to pay for the delivery if I know I am free next day.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote